Constant 24/7 chest pains

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 37yrs old, female and have just recently been diagnosed with anxiety. 5 months ago my father passed away in front of my mum in the kitchen due to a heart attack. 3 weeks after his passing, unusual symptoms started rising. Fear, withdrawn from the world, chest pains, panic and most of all stress. Ever since I have suffered from major chest pain, ongoing for 4-5 days with no letting up. My chest pain will give me maximum 2 days grace and then start up again. I've seen a cardiologist, had multiple ecgs, blood tests, abdominal scan, chest xray of heart and lungs plus a stress test and of course, all come back normal. 2 months ago my mum passed out and has a aneurysm on the back of her brain and we are awaiting surgery. I have been put on medication and have only been taking it for 2 weeks. Im seeing a councillor next week for the first time so touch wood this will help. Just wondering if others are suffering the never ending chest pains and how does people deal with this. I work night shift as well 5 nights a week and I never want to go too work or leave the house 😢 I did however go away for a week overseas and I never suffered any chest pains or anxiety!!!!!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey molly. I'm sorry for your loss and I can imagine how stressful everything must be. I just wanna lwt you know it is anxiety and you don't need to worry as much as it may scare you. I went through having constant chest pains but that part has passed for me I have different symptoms going on with me now and honestly just try to surround yourself with positivity and good people. it takes time to go away or decrease but it does happen. Take care. We're always here for you.

• Posted

Hi woah123

Thankyou for replying to my post. It's all new to me with the rising symptoms of anxiety and depression. My days are so full of pain with the chest and my body tremors. I went to the ED again 4 days ago because I could t cope with the chest pains. Again another ecg and blood test that came back normal. I'm at a loss and I'm keeping to myself. I see my gp tomorrow and psychiatrist as well so hopefully some pressure to be lifted as I'm feeling it in my shoulders and chest sad

• Posted

Hi Molly, I sent this response to someone else who asked a similar question about chest pain.

I used to get chest pain a lot when I had severe anxiety and I thought I had a heart problem but I didn't. Chest pain when feeling very anxious or having a panic attack is a very common symptom of anxiety. What helped me the most was knowing that what I was feeling was a symptom of my anxiety, and although it's scary it couldn't hurt me. With all that you have been through it is not surprising that you have these symptoms, you body will have been in fight or flight for much of the time.  Try breathing techniques, particulrarly abdominal breathing, they should help you to switch from the sympathetic nervous system (which triggers all the fight or flight symptoms) to the parasympathetic nervous system which is calms the body down. There is a breathing GIF you can follow to help with the breathing technique but I'm not sure I can link to an external website on here.

• Posted

Hey Wonderboyo

It's good to see a reply to my post. I think because I'm anxious 24/7 is the reason why I'm having chest pains all day and night. I have tried meditating but that just is t for me. The breathing i do a lot but I'm just waiting also for the medication to kick in. Hopefully something will come as a ease for my body as I'm Definately not liking what I'm going through.

• Posted

Have you tried exercising? It can be really helpful for strong physical symptoms of anxiety. If you don't normally exercise you should check out that you're okay to do it with your GP. I used to lecture at a university about anxiety and mental health (I got into it because I struggled with anxiety for so long). This is something I wrote before about exercise for my own students and how it helps - even walking briskly can count - it can help in the long-term and short-term with the symptoms. Don't want to overload you with info though. Hope it all goes okay. 

Research has shown physical exercise can measurably reduce anxiety in around twenty minutes Physical activity is not only effective at reducing the physical symptoms of anxiety, but has also can calm the amygdala in the brain (part of the brain that sets of the fight or flight response), stopping it being so reactive. 

Also, when anxiety triggers the fight, flight, or freeze response, it is prepares our body to move quickly and powerfully as it thinks we’re in danger.  So exercise can use the emergency response in the way it was intended – by moving and being active. Being active will also lowers the levels of adrenaline pumping through your body and uses glucose that is released into the bloodstream as a result of being anxious. It can also produce feelings of wellbeing and exhilaration, prompted by the release of neurotransmitters called endorphins, which also work on reducing pain.

Exercise can also be particularly beneficial for people who struggle with panic attacks or the strong physiological symptoms of anxiety or stress. Moderate physical activity can act as a type of exposure treatment, helping us to get used to the physical sensations often experienced when anxious or stressed. Experiencing similar sensations while exercising (increased heart rate, rapid breathing, elevated blood pressure) helps us to realise they are not harmful, but we can cope with them and get used to the discomfort 

• Posted

Hi wonderboyo

I have a appointment with my gp today so will ask him about me exercising. Also have been recommended to take magnesium and vitamin b?? I'm just at a point that I would like to try anything as my days and nights are getting hard.

• Posted

Magnesium can be useful, especially if you are deficient in it, same with Vitamin B. Magnesium can be found in different foods, and that's probably the best way to take it. It's in legumes, whole grains, vegetables (especially broccoli, squash, and green leafy vegetables), seeds, and nuts (especially almonds). Other sources include dairy products, meats and chocolate.

Hope the GP appointment goes well today, let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi wonderboyo

My gp is at a loss with me. He put me on a higher dose of my anti depressant and has referred me back to a cardiologist because of my constant chest pain. I'm feeling my pains in the chest, shoulders and arms. Tremors and sweating as well but it's all day, every day sad gp doesn't know what to do now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.