Constant ache

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 10 weeks post posterior LTHR and I believe that I'm progressing well. I can get about without crutches, I'm in no pain and I'm taking no medication. BUT, I have this constant ache/soreness in the hip, right behind the ball and socket area. Is this normal at this stage and if so, how much longer will it last? I see the surgeon again next week and I hope it gets easier by then.

Norm.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Norm, everyone is different. I had tightness in the hip area for about 3-4 months but no pain after the first 6 weeks. Also had posterior approach. Many cases takes over a 12-18 months to totally heal. Good that you are seeing your Doc. He will provide the right advice. Good luck 
    • Posted

Thanks Steve, yes looking forward to seeing the surgeon again. Hopefully he'll put my mind at rest and I can concentrate on getting back on the golf course!

• Posted

I have an ache as well but it is due to exercise
    • Posted

That's interesting because I have been doing quite a bit of exercise and I even joined an over 60s fitness class! Perhaps I should back off a bit.

• Posted

Norm,

Yep, it's normal.  I've had both done now.  As unpleasant as it is to hear, hip surgery is downright "violent".  Those were his words.  When I had my RIGHT hip done, my LEFT leg, left groin, even the inside of my left kneecap were purple. We're thrown around on that O.R. table like a chicken on a cutting board.  I asked my surgeon take pics with his I-Phone for me.  This was during my Michael Jackson induced Propofol I.V. And he did it for me.  There was one where he sawed off the ball joint, couldn't get it out of my own socket with his substantial strength and fitness so he literally used a real cork screw.  It was sticking out of the ball joint on a blue surgical towel in the pic on his phone.  That job is not for a doctor who isn't physically fit and strong.  So you were beat up pretty badly on that O.R. playground. The soreness will go away.  Maybe get some Vitamin E oil and VERY gently press on that new ball joint knotty area.  This will help gently massage it but also prevent unnecessary additional scar tissue buildup.  The soreness will stop.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm so glad you're doing well. 

• Posted

Thanks Judy, you've brightened up my morning! That must be some photo album you have. I made the mistake of watching a video of the op on You Tube before I went in, but I never saw a corkscrew.

I'm looking forward to the warmer weather and getting back on the golf course although it's forecasting snow here (S.UK) next week, coming in from Siberia.

Thanks again for your encouraging words.

Norm

• Posted

I had a spinal with no sedation so I could be aware what was going on. They showed me the top of the femur they had cut off lying in a bowl. It looked like a bloody hedgehog! I wonder if they are a bit gentler when they know you are awake? I had no bruising at all. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.