Constant anxiety

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, i'm a 18 year old guy. Theese last months i'm suffering from severe scary symptoms that just don't end. I'm quickly gonna go trough all the diseases i thought i had: Heart attack, heart disease, cancer, brain tumor, stroke, epilepsy and seziures, asthma and many manyy more. A few days ago i went to a doctor because i couldn't breathe properly (i feel the same now), it's like i can't breathe trough my nose and i feel like i'm loosing breath and can't breathe and also weird heart sensations. She pulled up the stetoscope listened to my lungs and heart, she said no problem whatsoever and said anxiety. I've also been to a physician about my heart and had an ecg which she said it was perfect (70 BPM 110 with 70 blood pressure). Like after all of this stress i been going trough and major depression, i became like a proffesional all knowing doctor just from researching symthoms and i still can't stop. I'm really tired, my doctor booked me to my psychiatrist on 6th next month, but i think i'm gonna go earlier.

Now i take 50 mg sertaline when i wake up and 100 mg lamictal at night.

(i also think i developed lorazepam withdrawal effects)

This i too hard for me at this age....

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hope somebody replies to this .sounds like anxiety. Your googling far too much though on illnesses ( sounds like hypochondria) you're convincing yourself you got all these then anxiety will feed on that and you will feel even worse. If all heart tests are ok and ur young work on talking to people here( so helpful) if you have major attack obviously ask about meds to relax a little. But small amounts. I went through hell with meds took too many as you do if they help. Anxiety is crippling but too many meds (hell). Ask advice here when scared. Stop looking at all that crap telling you your dying. You're not, you're ill, as we are. Talk anytime??

• Posted

Hiya nick, I'm exsacly the same I think every little thing I have wrong with me is cancer and I keep going to the doctors to be told 'anxitey' still doesn't ease my mind I'm always like what if they missed something ect.. it's hard living thinking your dying everyday and your so young you should be able to live and love life. I'm 22 and have struggled with anxiety since being 16 all different kinds but health anxiety has been the worst yet. I am also on sertraline 100mg tho, and they have helped but not enough. I also have an appointment with a counciler the end of the month. Let us know how you get on.

I'm sorry I've not been much help, but just so you know your not on your own,

Hope you feel better soon! ??

• Posted

Nick,

when I was in my 20s the exact same thing happened to me.  Millions and millions of other people have the same symptoms also. I thought I had every disease in the book. Shortness of breath, The weird heart  sensations, rapid heart rate, skipped heartbeats, etc. call extremely common with anxiety and stress! My dad took me to a neurologist and everything came out normal.  As long as you went to your doctor and everything is fine, it's time to start working on the stress and anxiety. That's what was causing everyone of my symptoms. Anxiety can literally have hundreds of symptoms that mimic different conditions.  The worst thing you can do is Google your symptoms! Then fear will take over and your symptoms will get worse. Believe me, I have had a lot of experience with this. I am now in my 50s  and doing well. Yes I do get anxious from time to time but now I'm able to manage that so it does not affect my life. 

As a former nurse I can tell you  first that your heart rate and blood pressure at the doctors were excellent!

Remember   that symptoms that are related to stress and anxiety cannot hurt you! They feel weird and are uncomfortable and scary sometimes but that is all!   Everything originates in the brain so with anxiety, here is what happens:

when you are feeling anxious about something, your brain thinks you are in danger so it sends out a hormone called adrenaline. This adrenaline can speed up your heart rate, and your breathing in an effort to send more oxygen  throughout your body. Basically your brain is preparing you for "Battle" .  So it's the adrenaline that is causing the funny heart  sensations  and why you can't catch your breath. 

we know that you were not actually in danger but your brain Thinks  you are because you're anxious.  So when you get anxious about the sensations, your brain will send out more adrenaline to protect you. So the goal here is to calm down the brain and then everything else will calm down. So how do we calm  down our brain?

i'm going to share with you some things that have really helped me. Choose the ones that you think could possibly help you and use them! I'm glad you're going to see the psychiatrist. Another professional that has help me a lot is a counselor who specializes in  anxiety. They see this on a daily basis and can really help! 

something that helps me on a daily basis is guided mindfulness meditation's found on YouTube. They completely calm me down and so do my symptoms.  use earbuds, lie down and listen a couple times a day.  Just search for guided mindfulness meditation. There are serval to choose from. They also have excellent meditations on anxiety, depression, sleeping well etc. a couple I really like are called  guided meditation-train your mind and body to relax, sleep, relieve anxiety and  another is called guided meditation for detachment from overthinking it. Just choose the ones you like I think they could really help you! 

don't let fear take you over! The worst thing you can do is sit and think and think! That will drive up the anxiety and symptoms. Be a fighter for yourself. 

Remember....FEAR  stands for false evidence appearing real.   Which means sometimes when we have symptoms we think they are related to some terrifying disease, when in reality the odds are much higher that they are not.   Our minds  will go to the negative if we let it, so we must be in control.

stay active and do things you enjoy, stay social it takes your mind off of your worries, eat healthy, don't forget to smile and laugh! It has been proven to make positive changes in the brain !   

when you are  having symptoms remember  don't react with anxiety but instead calmly acknowledge that you have the symptom and tell yourself you can handle it, everything will be OK.  

always go back to slow deep breathing. Make sure your belly rises when you inhale and concentrate on how the breaths feel. Slowly blowout as though you're blowing out a candle . This and many other pieces of information that can help you are included in a book called mindfulness.  It's worth the read! Sure hope you feel better and you can do this! Even if you're having a good day and then a bad day that's OK just keep trucking along. 👍😁

• Posted

Jan i just want to thank you because this helped me a lot! X
    • Posted

Love people like Jan.when we go on here and ask for help people take the time to put our minds at rest. Anxiety is hell. Agree with everything you said and as we start to realise whatever we think is wrong with us anxiety makes it ten times worse. Great when people pluck up courage to ask for help there's people there.??

• Posted

Thank you so much Edwina!   I just want to help people because I went through a living hell in my 20s with so many symptoms of anxiety. Back then nobody was using the Internet  and I literally felt like I was the only one in the world going through this!  my parents just did not know what to do and either did doctors.  I'm so glad there are these online support groups now for people.  But the main point I really want you guys to know is that you can learn to control it like I did and all these crazy symptoms truly cannot hurt you if they are related to the anxiety. I am in my 50s now and still here! LOL

• Posted

Hi Jan, I know this thread is old but thank you so much for this. I have been dealing with symptoms such as muscle jerks, ibs, derealization, increased heartrate and many other things. I used to google my symptoms and I would sicken myself from worry. I had thought I had a brain tumor or something like that but after reading your reply I feel so much better. thank you!
  • Posted

This is the start point sadly.

They need to seriously figure this all out. It is becoming epidemic. They don't really know what to do for it, they just know it exists.  Trial and error on the meds. They only  work in half the people. They dont even know exactly where it orginates just it targets the fight or flight response. Then zips around the whole nervous system making a mess in the body because adrenaline rushes do that.. but the body recivers from it. Its just a very very rough cycle. At some point in your future you wont get as scared anymore. Symptoms still occur and it gets more frustrating and exhusting.

But enough negative there are also good days woth the days and it can does wax and wane. So it can calm down and settle for very long scans of time as well. Behaviorial techniques are really useful. Learn mindful breathing, do yoga, really love yourself they sell an anxiety and phobia workbook its the one book everyone should own  with this. No quick fix. Drs get angry when one recites google. They go by what they see and have hand on experience with which google doesnt provide you with. Its not usually as accurate as any average person believes it is at all. And google is changing it up because  all the issues that have risen from it. It is great to scare the daylights out of you amd no longer trust a dr. Though. It actually has now become a form of mental illness to research ailments and disease online. 

• Posted

Hi Nick, I must say you are strong enough to talk about this, because when i had this problem even when i thought about talking my problems and explaining it caused me to breathe improperly.

I am 26, and it's been 2 years since i overcame it.

The key is to know what is lying in the core of it, I suffered many illnesses and then allergies which made me insecure in front of people.... because allergies made me look so damn weak and as much i stressed about it, my breathing problems became worse..

First of all be proud of what you are, accept yourself, your condition, say that i am this and i accept whoever i am, then stop overthinking and as far i know your case i think even thinking about anything at all will worsen you breathing, so try to find peace in things you like doing, you must stop thinking anything about your breathing issues and the worst irony will be that your breathing will remind you if it, but since i did it, i know you can too. I can relate to you because i felt like dying, it all lies in the brain, make your brain strong, but first relieve it of all the stress.

Now listen what i did--- i knew that my insecurity in front of people made me stress out bad, so i knew where to look for the problem in my mind and then get ti the core and then uproot it, but my breathing problem became so severe that even thinking about anything at all (like seriously anything) made me lose my breath. So i thought of giving my mind some time, i stopped thinking about my papers and assignments from college or anything at all that could stress me, that helped a little, but that's all i needed, i needed a window to rethink things, which i got from the break. Then in that little period of time, i set my mind straight, i know now i don't need to be afraid of it, because it (anxiety) gave me breathing problems only because i let it, now i control it, be your God.

hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.