Constant back pain, hip pain, groin and skin after Laminectomy and L4 L5 fusion

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am 4 months post OP of a laminectomy and L4 L5 fusion because of degenerative disc disease and a para faucet cyst leading to claudia equiane. I am in more pain now then before. My back is stable however I still have occasional pain down my left leg to my toes,sitting and walking. But the worst pain is in my back while sitting upright and walking. Plus the sore hips while sleeping so much so it wakes me up during the night and wearing tight pants hurs

As the day goes on back ach gets worse and worse with the occasional shooting pains coming from the out side of my hips to my groin ( I almost drop) and my skin across my back hips and thighs gets very sensitive to touch. This means I need to lay down.. i try to walk and stretch every day on the treadmill or outside but my back fights me all the way. I really have to push through. This means I need to lay down again and use heat or ice. I feel like I shouldn't have had the surgery except I had no choice. Does this mean this is my life forever? I am thinking I should as for an updated MRI? The surgeon said it is residual pain. I looked this up and it lead me to FBSS. He also said thanks to our medical service taking 2.5 years to originally see him and another 8 months after that for surgery.

I am going to see a physio therapist today. Any input would help.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, ask your physio about hydrotherapy, my fusion was years ago. I suffered similar pain to what you have for a long time.

I was absolutely terrified of going swimming, frightened I’d twist something, or fall. But it was the best thing I ever did, loosened my back a lot, and the more often I went the stronger my back felt. Now many years later, still have DDD plus arthritis, but honestly water is the best thing.

• Posted

Four months still sounds early to me in the post op period for that big a surgery, I'd expect pain.  I also think you should sell be in PT and with this much pain the pool would be the best place as it takes away gravity.  The only way you are going to not end up as a failed back surgery is to fight your way back to a healthy back through physical therapy, massage, stretching and exercise.  Otherwise you are looking at a lifetime spent in a pain management clinic like the rest of us on this forum.  I wouldn't disagree with the updated MRI.  You do have a lot of pain to account for.  However, I wouldn't let that take your eye off the prize of getting back to health through the hard work in physical therapy, and take home homework!  Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you "allaroundanne" and "Laura 3333". I have been thinking of trying swimming but I would need to join a gym to have access to an indoor pool. I want to give it a try first before I join. The other issue about swimming is changing into and out of the swimming suit. I know that sounds silly but I still have a lot of trouble with dressing the bottom half of my body. It isn't pretty. LOL.

Physio is going well but slow. I am not able to go as quickly with the exercise as he would like to see. My therapist office doesn't have access to hydrotherapy. And he said I shouldn't be on the treadmill.

I also started back to my massage therapist. She helped a lot. She suggested ultrasound therapy. The aching in my left leg and the pain in my left foot can get so bad I need to remove my sandle or slipper and sometimes socks.

And the pain in my back hips and thighs is wearing me down. Physically and emotionally. I am thankful that LTD isn't pushing me back to work.

I forgot to mention I was also diagnosed with spinal stenosis. But I believe this is the same as DDD. And that I will be 58 this August. My back problem started bothering me 3.5 years ago.

Laura3333 hiw long ago was your surgery and do you still have the pain? And are you working?

I appreciate your positive and informative posts. 😊

• Posted

Hi Cathy, my surgery was in 1983, long time ago. No, I’m not painfree, I am of retirement age, but I work online from home, gives my brain something to think about.

Swimming helped me so much but I had the sam problem. I used to put my swim suit on at home, and I even got to the stage, where occasional I put a loose dress over my wet swim suit and sat on a towel in the car driving home, then threw the lot in the bath and put my dressing gown on and threw myself on the settee for a couple of hours to recover, it was no easy feat, I use a dressing stick and a grab stick to get dressed, the staff at the swimming pool were lng to se what Iwould do next. But once in the pool, I could do all the things I can’t do on land, gave me such a buzz.

It honestly sounds like sciatic pain that you have, could be the stenosis, which is basically narrowing of the bone spaces.

Are you on gabapentin lyrica, or any of the nerve pain drugs? I’m sure it’s nerve pain you have.

• Posted

Hi Laura..I agree it is nerve pain. I still see the surgeon we talked about Lyrica. I was on it before surgery for a short while and I couldn't tolerate the side effects from the medication. He said there are people who can't tolerte it, but there is no other mediaction out there.

So, here I am.

Thank you for listening. I now take it one day at a time. Some days are better then others and the PT tells me repeatedly not to over do it.

That is a very difficult one for me. LOL.

Cathy

• Posted

If you can, ask your dr if you can try gabapentin, it’s like Lyrica, but the side effects aren’t as bad. Nortryptiline is good for nerve pain, I take both of these, I can’t take naproxen because I had stomach ulcers, and have tried various Pain killers. The main ones are codeine based, it makes me sick.

I don’t know why your gp said that. Gabapentin is the main drug for nerve pain, and tolerated well, start on a low dose and increase slowly.

Gabapentin is also known as Neurontin, I guess your in the States.

You need something.

• Posted

Hi Laura.

Gabapentin is the generic form of lyrica and I had serious side effects with both. I am not able to take it. I take tramadol slow release and occasionally a muscle relaxer. Other wise nothing else works. Like you I don't like pain medication like opioids.

I am in Ontario Canada. I am hoping I can cope with minimal meds. But we'll see. Today is a bad day.

Great chatting with you.?

• Posted

I agree that it’s way too soon for you to be so active. Do light strengthening activities the pool is a great idea. Also, hot/cold therapies help. I really didn’t start feeling better/good until after 6 months. You can just google low impact lumbar exercises there are plenty but avoid any trunk rotations. Sounds like your core needs some strengthening.

Curious, when you lay down and feel the pain is it in a certain position only? And are you sure it’s your hips and not at the fusion site? Pain can transfer and sometimes be tricky to isolate. After my L5-S1 fusion when I layed on my back I felt a lot of painful pressure near the fusion site. It’s nearly 3 years post op and it’s still there. I used to sleep on my back but now I can’t. I have seen 4 different surgeons and all of them are clueless as to why that hurts and most of them brushed it off. Probably because they didn’t have an answer. Early on I had hip pain too but eventually it went away after the core strengthening.

Oh and don’t bother asking for an mri they won’t do it. It’s rare to get one done once hardware is in you. Ct with mylogram (sp?) is what they would do. It’ll show any spinal cord impingement. It’s not pleasant at all so make sure you really want it. 

• Posted

One more thing about the meds sorry. I tried all the nerve ones and none helped. I liked the Tramadol but found that if I didn’t take it I got horrendous withdrawal symptoms. Worse than any opioid I’ve ever been on. Maybe try soma (strong muscle relaxer) with some Tylenol to ease your muscles. Just muscles spasming like crazy can create a lot of discomfort. Good luck! Post op is awful. 
  • Posted

Two things, Lyrica is't gabapentin. Lyrica is pregalbin and gabapentin is neurontin. Two totally different drugs, even two different classes of drugs used for different things. Second, if your fusion was done with any metal and not just bone, then that's why you can't have an MRI. The MRI would cause the metal to come flying out of your body towards it's big rotating magnet.

• Posted

Titanium, not metal, is used in fusions. Can also go through airline security.

• Posted

Oh and I just saw the Tramadol post, tramadol is an opiod, that's why you get opioid withdrawal symptoms. It is marketed as one of the mildest opioids, and it is, but it happens to have a few little side problems it can cause that other opioids don't that make it uniquely problematic. Tramadol messed with serotonin metabolism causing it to accumulate in the brain, if you take another drug that increases serotonin levels in the brain, like Lyrica, you can get a very serious, sometimes lethal disorder called serotonin syndrome. Not enough doctors are aware of this syndrome and too many chronic pain patients get put on too many of these serotonin enhancing drugs that they risk serotonin syndrome.

• Posted

Yeah the withdrawal was just like really bad antidepressant withdrawal. If you've ever been on Zoloft or efexor you would know what I mean. I have been on percocet and Norco on and off for years and have been addicted to them at times but always was able to come off them. The tramadol was more difficult. I swear they just make tramadol that way so you need to stay on it forever.

• Posted

I did not know that about lyrica. And 2 different kinds. Thank you.

Good to know about the Lyrica and the tramadol..that could be why I didn't tolerate it very well.

As for the metal in my back the surgeon did mention it was titanium and I can still have an MRI if needed and No I didn't need to worry about travel. That I wouldn't set off any alarms.

My sleeping positions is on my side. Sometimes on my back because my hips hurt so much and now my knees are starting. I think it is because I have been realigned and other joints are starting to hurt.

Physio is going well but slow. However it is helping. I have more mobility but still very far from where I would like to be. Or need to be.

Thank you everyone for you input. It helps me cope better..

Cathy

• Posted

It’s going to be awhile just have patience. I can completely sympathize with how frustratingly slow recovery is and no matter what they tell you your mobility will never be as good as they say it will. If you stay vigilant with your stretches and core strengthening it will get better but you really need to be OCD about them. It sucks but there’s a lot of us right there with you. 

Take care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.