Constant belching, heartburn, lightheadedness, I'm really worried I took so long to schedule

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, 

I'm David, 32 years old from Florida. I've suffered from heartburn on and off for the past 8 years or so, at the beginning I was able to control it using over the counter anti-acids. For the past 3 years, things have gotten worse. Now I have it every day, mostly during the night when I'm laying down. About 5 years ago I went to a doctor because I noticed some belching, he recommended an upper endoscopy.. which I should've done years ago but my fear of the procedure has kept me from doing it :-(  I try to keep a healthy lifestyle, eat clean, exercise but nothing helps! For the past 8-10 months I've had constant (every day) belching, I feel  lightheaded, dizzy, some times feeling like I can't walk on a straight line, and to top it off I get occasional stomach pains (pinching sensation) on my stomach. I know I have to do something fast, something I should've done years ago and I'm beating myself over it for waiting this long. Now I'm waking up at night thinking it's too late and I will be diagnosed with stomach cancer, which is not helping. I'm planning on scheduling an upper endoscopy tomorrow, I'm really anxious about the procedure and what they'll find. Wondering if anyone experienced symptoms for that long and went through a similar experience? What did they find? Thank you all. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The constant worrying about your condition would be enough to trigger at least some of your symptoms and, whatever any investigation finds, it is some relief just to know so  my unqualified advice, ( in both senses ) is to make that appointment.

Of course you will feel natural apprehension at the though of the endoscopy and I don't pretend that everyone reacts in the same way but, having had one a few years ago I can say, hand on heart, that I'd be off again tomorrow if I had your symptoms.

My choice was not to have sedation, just the throat spray that relaxes the area and facilitates the passing of the tube. I find it reassuring to know what is going on. The nurse talked to me and I was invited to turn over and view my insides! The worst part was having to wait for the spray to wear off before I could have a cup of tea. I did have a very dry throat afterwards but that was all.

I will be truthful and tell you that the doctor said I was their easiest patient that morning but I think if you can relax, breathe slowly and do as you are told it really should not be at all traumatic,

I wish you the very best of outcomes.

• Posted

I did it. Had the sedation. You sleep for a few minutes. Wake up feeling great. No problem. I to waited. Been dealing with gerd for years. It has caused Barrett's esophagus. For no explained reason insurance is refusing to pay for meds as prescribed. They only want to pay for 1 Omeprazole a day instead of 2. I am making way to much acid.

• Posted

Hi, I'm 17 and I had a upper Endoscopy in May this year. Like you I have been having acid problems since I was younger and I was so scared to have the Endoscopy done. The thought of having an Endoscopy was my worst nightmare and I worried so much but I went through with it as I wanted to know what was wrong. I had it with sedation and throat spray. The throat spray tastes like bananas but it really does numb your throat and once they put the sedation through the IV I barely knew anything. I dont remember the scope going down my throat or even what it felt like. The only thing I knew was I gagged a couple of times. I know that sounds worrying but you don't actually care because of the sedation. You feel no worry with sedation! I woke up just after they took the scope out and after that I was fine except I felt abit woozy for the rest of the day. Honestly the thought is worse than the procedure. Hope you manage to book an appointment.

• Posted

Hey all, I had my endoscopy yesterday. They took me in, administered Propofol (all your anxiety and fear will go away) I felt so relaxed I was even throwing jokes before falling asleep. Woke up in recovery with no side effects, NOTHING. Not even amnesia or anything. Just a sore throat all day. Dr didn't find anything wrong, just acid reflux, so I'm grateful for that. For all of those fearing the unknown from this procedure, please don't even sweat it. You read so many other experiences with people wondering why they were worrying so much? I wish I could've listen, because it's true. Best to all and thanks for the kind supporting words I received. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.