Constant bitter taste in mouth-could it be silent reflux

Posted , 10 users are following.

It's been 1month now with a constant bitter taste in my mouth-it just started out of the blue one day. Only other symptoms are some post nasal drip and mucus in back of throat and occasional ear pain. Can anyone please shed any light? I am suspecting silent reflux? Thank you jackir

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jackie, unfortunately many doctors even ENT are ignorant to LPR, I have been dealing with what I suspected as silent reflux. If in fact you do have LPR I would suggest changing your diet, ppis dont seem to make much improvement for LPR. I am not even certain I have LPR myself and continued my search for a cure, started taking 10mg Elavil as I think a virus caused LSN, 1 week into my meds I see improvement that 2 months of ppi and diet had not done much for. Try not to get too much stress over this many people I hear that do have LPR will start feeling better after 4-6 months of treatment, stress and anxiety will only make it worse.
  • Posted

Hi Jackie, I have GERD and get the taste all the time....My dentist has even noticed that my gums are swollen and bleed easy...from the acid coming up...So I have special toothpaste with flouride and also rincse with a hydrogen  peroxide mouth wash to get bacteria away
  • Posted

Thanks for your comments everyone. Seeing ent monday so will kepp you posted. Have a good weekend everyone.
  • Posted

Hi. My brother has constant bitter taste in his mouth. He said it started after a deeply stressful day. Some doctors said it's bile reflux but one doctor told me that it may not be bile; the bitter taste may be due to irritable esophagus. I'm not sure, however.

• Posted

I have LPR and have a bitter taste off and on. I have slight pain in my ears at times however I get dizzy and balance is off most of the time. My breathing is affected and  I have most of the other LPR symptoms. I still have my taste and smell senses. I have post nasal drip and mucus in throat. I take 40mg of Pantoprazole daily which helps with nausea and globus and reduces the mucus. Good luck with your appointment on Monday.
  • Posted

Hello Jackie

I'm reading your posts from sometime ago but your symptoms are identical to mine and I wondered if you have had any success in finding a solution? I have had the bitter taste for nine months and have seen ENT people but apart from Gaviscon and Plus no real cure and very little relief. I am in the UK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.