Constant bleeding

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am peri and didn’t have a period for 5 months. Now I’m bleeding very heavily and it’s been going on for 5 weeks. I get a lot of clots too. Sometimes I soak through everything. It’s getting to the stage u don’t want to go to work in case I have a flood. Is 5 weeks normal to be bleeding?

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

zhi im havi g the same problem i didnt have a period for three months was having other meno problems i couldnt deal with so asked for hrt in january the dr gave me patches but after the 15th day i started to bleed after a wile it didnt stop so went to dr she changed oatch which gave me other symptoms and didnt stop the bleeding so went back on to original one as it had got rid of all other symptoms but i carried on bleeding its now end of may still bleeding i went back to dr a few weeks ago was told to stop patches i was given norethisterone which started to work untill dr then rang me said stop taki g that but then i bled more so i went back on it it didnt stop the bleeding just made it real light then i stoped taki g it a few days ago as i want to see if i stop after a wile like if its a normal period i dont know but i have an interview on friday for a job and im worried il flood, i dont know wether to just not go and wait as im waiting on an apointment to come from the hospital from gynacology. im sick of bleeding im now sore down below from all pads and tampax it hurts when i pee i feel like im cut. im fed up i dont know what to do.
    • Posted

I feel your pain. You should go for the interview, use double protection? I’m thinking of going to the doc because I’m so tired with all the bleeding, it’s knocking me for 6. Good luck with the interview x
  • Posted

Hi pauline, i feel your pain, my last period was very heavy and lasted 27 day, i currently have a period again hope it does not last as long as the last one. Anyway during peri it can be like this. you need to go to your dr there are things to help like the coil, an ablation, meds. Do you have fibroids? this too can cause heavy periods? xx 
    • Posted

Hi Amanda, as far as I know I don’t have. I’ve still not been to the doctor because, if I’m honest, I’m scared it’s cancer since I’ve read that also could be the cause xx
  • Posted

yes i want to go to the interwiew but its for a job working 12 hour nights i can bearly last ten mins sometimes without flooding then otherrimes can last longer it just happens il be ok with a bleedi can cope with then il just gush through everything i have on so worried i wont be able to do the 12 hours. its horrible all this beeding we have to go through im feeling tierd down and just keep crying. im going to give myself five days if its heavy and not stopping im going back on the stupid noretbisterone and then going to see dr to tell her that i cant just bleed and do nothing im so sore i have open sores down below it kills to wea pads now and hurts to wipe and pee.i might just go back on the patches to get the estrogen and take the norethisterone to i du o i feel for you all its horrible i. been like this on and off at its worst for over four years with messed up periods.
  • Posted

Hi Pauline, I had a three week period. But five weeks seems too long for very heavy bleeding and clotting, you will most likely become anemic. Not sure if you are here in the US, but if you used progesterone I think it would help. 

What happens is this, if you don't have enough progesterone being produced, the lining in your uterus builds up because progesterone is what sluffs it off. So for the those 5 months you were likely building up and now it's all coming out. 

I called my doc when I was having the 3 weeks period. She recommended a vag u/s. They found my lining to be 9cm thick, so now I'm deciding whether or not to do the biopsy that was recommended. But everything I'm reading says it's normal for peri. A thickened lining causes the bleeding, probably what's going on with you. It can be an indication of endometrial cancer, or the thickened lining can lead to abnormal cells. I think since you are bleeding so heavily for so long, they will want to do an u/s on you and probably a biopsy just like me.

I've decided to hold off on the biopsy for now and I'm going to start using natural progesterone cream and revisit with another u/s in three months. 

Keep me updated on what you decide to do.

XO

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.