Constant Burping, Constantly Thirsty, Upper Stomach irritation/swelling, Mouth Sores...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there

I went to the doctors about 2.5 weeks ago as I was burping very frequently (non-smelly) to the point where I was sick (lots of phlegm) She said I might have excess acids and gave me Omeprazole Capsules to take which are supposed to reduce acid, I'm supposed to take them for 30 days, once a day and let her know at the end how it's gone.

It's gotten so much worse, I am burping constantly and it's not comfortable, my upper stomach is inflamed/swollen. I am constantly thirsty after drinking more then 3 litres of water and not really weeing that much. My mouth has sores in it like small open wounds that are painful. There is lots of phlegm type of spit in my mouth and the burps are uncontrollable, stomach is trembling and passing gas smells really really bad. I don't know what to do. I am going to call the doctor in the morning to let her know that things have gotten worse, does any one have any kind of insight/suggestions on what this may be.

My diet is very healthy, vegeterian diet (ocassionally eat fish) and I don't smoke or drink.

Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi lisaellipse

Mouth sores and digestion problems are an indication of B12 deficiency. B12 deficiency is a symptom of being vegetarian as you do not eat meat, and dairy where B12 is obtained. Ask your doc to test you for B12 deficiency as soon as possible as deficiency can lead to pernicious anemia. Also, Omerprazole which is known as a PPI will block absorption of B12 if doc decides you are deficient and prescribes B12 supplements you will have to come of Omerprazole first before you take the B12 supplements or your doc may give you B12 injections if you are very low in B12.....

• Posted

Hi lisaellipse

Mouth sores and digestion problems are an indication of B12 deficiency. B12 deficiency is a symptom of being vegetarian as you do not eat meat, and dairy where B12 is obtained. Ask your doc to test you for B12 deficiency as soon as possible as deficiency can lead to pernicious anemia. Also, Omerprazole which is known as a PPI will block absorption of B12 if doc decides you are deficient and prescribes B12 supplements you will have to come of Omerprazole first before you take the B12 supplements or your doc may give you B12 injections if you are very low in B12.....

• Posted

Great thanks for this information. i am going to speak to the doctor today

• Posted

Hi lisaellipse

That's good. Make sure you get a blood test, insist on a B12 blood test and iron blood test just to rule our B12 deficiency as it can get pretty dangerous if it is left and not dealt with...keep me posted.....good wishes...

• Posted

have you been tested for celiac disease? If not get tested asap.

• Posted

Hello,

I have exactly the same symptoms, constant sore throats from acid reflux, stomach gurgling, burping etc

My doctor prescribed omeprazol and i have taken it for two months but it didnt get any better, in fact i came off the tablets a few days ago and notice no difference to being on them!!

i spoke to someone at work and he had the same thing and he also said omeprazol did nothing, he went back to the doctor and had an endoscopy and they diagnosed a hiatus hernia, they operated and he was fine for a while and then it came back, the doctor then said either they operate of he follows a strict diet that doesnt cause agitation to the stomach.

please post up the outcome of your situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.