Constant cough

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 49 years of age and am on Atenolol(50mg) daily as it is the only thing that keeps my blood pressure down.I also take 5mg of Bendroflumezide daily.Got this cough and shiffles for nearly two months now and I would like to know waht I can do or take to get rid of it.

Any idea's would be great.

Eric

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eric,

My husband takes the same dosage as you and has trouble with coughs and colds as there isn;t much over the counter remedies you can take on this medication. He swears by hot honey and lemon juice and we buy just the simple linctus that you can get in the supermarkets for the cough.

Hope this helps. smile

Jane

• Posted

Hi Eric

I have been on atenolol for eight years and for the past 5 years have had a cough and blocked sinuses.  Have had loads of tests, lungs are fine, so I reckon I'll just have to put up with it as the atenolol does lower my heart rate.

Cath

• Posted

Cough is one of the side effects of Atenolol..

I take 25mg of Atenolol and 25mg Hydrochlorizide (diuretic) and in the last couple yrs 5mg Amlodipine....

I'm going to see about going off one of them at my next doc visit...

Amlodipine main side effect is edema and after about 30 days I did get edema....

I upped my Grape Seed Extract for a while and got rid of it....

Grape Seed Ex is a powerful antioxidant and I've been taking it 19 yrs.....

No more allergies or sinus issues....and overall health is quite good...I'm 76 and in So. Calif.

If one is on a blood thinner, than you can't take both grape seed and the blood thinner drugs.

• Posted

BTW: Celery is a great veggie for lowering blood pressure issues....it has an oil in it that reduces BP....

It is also a fiber, diuretic and anti inflammatory......Eat your daily celery stalks...

• Posted

Hi Eric have what other types of medication have you tried and what are you doing regards diet and exercise and other lifestyle adjustments as  these play a major role in helping control blood pressure in a lot of people. I would also speak to your pharmacist or GP about your dose of bendroflumethiazide as we no longer use the 5mg dose in the majority of patients with hypertension.The two combined has been shown to increase your risk of developing diabetes by 50% in some cases hence the latest NICE guidance no longer recommend using that combination.if your BP is stable and you have exhausted all other options then ensure your monitoring is kept up to date by yearly blood test especially for high sugar .Hope this helps
  • Posted

Sorry regarding the cough it sounds to me like it could be the medication how long have you been on the tablets.What ever happens it's important to note if need to reduce or withdraw atenolol needs to be done slowly.beta blockers such as atenolol have been known to cause narrowing of the breathing tubes hence the cough which in some cases is similar to some peoples asthma.Please keep me updated
  • Posted

When I see "constant cough" I can't help but think of my son in law you passed last year at 55.

He was a smoker for probably 30 yrs and quit too late....

So IF one smokes.....that constant cough could be the reason....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.