Constant Diarrhoea

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had constant Diarrhoea for over a year had all sorts of tests and camera, but told no sign of anything except Diverticulitis. I was told to keep a food diary which I have but a certain food that I'm fine with one day upsets me the next time I eat it, so I can't really tell what it is that upsets my stomach!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I developed this problem around menopause, though I have no idea why that would be and neither did the doctor. I was checked for celiac and had a colonoscopy and endoscopy that showed nothing out of the ordinary. Dairy, cruciferous vegetables and beans created the biggest problems. Also caffeine. I took digestive enzymes in order to be able to ingest any of them.

Several years ago I started to study up on kefir which sounded very promising, but because it is made from milk I thought I would not be able to handle it. However, the label on the bottle said 99% lactose free so I tried it. It has turned my life around. I strongly recommend you try it if you haven't already. I have to drink it everyday. It repopulates your intestines with good bacteria. They say antibiotics can kill them off and we have all taken out share. Not sure why the bacteria doesn't then repopulate once introduced, but if it means having to drink kefir every day I am happy to do so.

Hope this helps you!

• Posted

Hi Polly - I too suffered from a similar thing for a year. It didn't have me in bed, just uncomfortable. Turns out i had a very common stomach virus (can't recall the name.) Doc instructed me to use probiotics - the ones you keep in the fridge. Seemed to work. Nexium is another over the counter med that works to keep the acid down and calm the stomach. Good luck with it - hope it's as simple as that.

• Posted

Wayne, the kefir I drink has 12 strains of probiotics in it. I have tried taking probiotics in pill form, but it didn't work for me. Have no idea. How did you determine you had a virus and identify which it was?

• Posted

Hi Beverly - went to the doc who gave me the implements to provide a stool sample which was sent off to be tested. Turned out the virus was very common - reckon i got it using self serve dried fruits/nuts at the local supermarket.

• Posted

I am very curious to know what that virus was. Can't remember if my GP ever orderd a stool test. All I know is the kefir works for me.

Why would you get it from self serve food? From other people touching it?

• Posted

I will get back to you on what it it was. While unhygienic, some people will help themselves to self-serve food with their hands i.e: to sample the product. Unwashed hands are swarming with germs, and the most common found is the bacteria from fecal matter. This is passed on to the unsuspecting customer when they scoop out their share. Having worked in the hospitality industry, i can tell you that it is common despite high standards of cleanliness required. A stomach virus upsets the balance of good/bad bacteria in the gut. Probiotics are pills that contain billions of good bacteria and are taken from the fridge in pill form.

• Posted

Sounds like you are talking about e.coli! Was it actually traced back to the nuts?

I definitely did not have that. That, I believe, is sudden, severe and can be quite serious. Children and elderly people can die of it. It's often associated with hamburger and lettuce.

I have tried probiotics in pill form, but they had no effect. For whatever reasons, kefir just seems to supply what my body is not producing in terms of good bacteria. I have read that taking probiotics can repopulate your intestines, but I have to drink kefir daily.

• Posted

An Enteric Pathogen test was done from a stool sample. It tests for 6 bacterial infections, 4 viral pathogens, and 5 parasites in the gut. My result was that Adenovirus Group F & G was detected - a very common virus according to the doc. Still too early to tell if the Probiotics will solve the problem. Due for blood test to see if Helicobacter is present - a bacteria that gets under the stomach lining and causes ulcers.

• Posted

It's been far too long ago that I went to the doctor with the complaint so can't remember if any tests were done. It's interesting that you were told to take a probiotic rather than an anitbiotic. Have your symptoms subsided?

Guess the field of medicine is finally catching up with alternative treatments. My father had an ulcer about 20 years ago, did have H. pylori and was treated with what they called a drug cocktail that included a couple of antibiotics. Don't know if that is still prescribed.

• Posted

Symptoms eased, I'm about 3 weeks into the program. Antibiotics are thought to cause imbalance in the gut among other things, so I'm not keen on taking them. Haven't had any of those for about 30 years - physical health has always been good and I'm careful about diet and exercise, walk absolutely everywhere and do weights twice a week.

Perhaps you should see the doc and get those tests done? It will ease your mind.

• Posted

Are you in the UK?

I never heard of adenovirus , but I see it includes pink eye and the like. So maybe it isn't considered very serious? Not sure why you are being tested for Helicobacter. Is diarrhea a symptom?

I'm pretty sure I was tested for possible pathogens, but it was so long ago I can't remember specifically. I think if I had something like an infection in my gut I would be losing weight instead of gaining it (and I am surely not losing any). My current doctor is aware of my drinking kefir to keep my intestines functioning properly and has never suggested needing a test. Neither did the one before him. I am outlasting many doctors!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.