Constant discomfort

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone get constant discomfort a couple of hours after eating? Not a full blown attack. I do get these where I am kept awake in agony sweating, unable to move, unbearable pain, but I am just meaning, chest/back/shoulder/stomach pain that you can feel but is more just an annoyance? It's happening most days now that I need a couple of painkillers which do seem to help as this pain is not agony just not as it should be. Also I suffer a lot of gas and rumbling tummy does anyone get this also. Just checking that it's not always full blown attacks and the gallbladder can cause pain without it always leading to an attack.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I am pretty much the same! After eating almost anything I have massive bloating, nausea, pains that vary from uncomfortable to awful, and it lasts for hours. I think mine is the gallbladder. I am waiting for an appointment after my GP has referred me to a surgeon.
    • Posted

I am at the Dr next week. I know I have gallstones as I had a scan 10 years ago, I managed them until this last 12m and it's getting painful most days now so going back.

I don't have nausea luckily but do have the pains, aching, gas, after most meals. Luckily avoiding full attacks with low fat small meals.

• Posted

Yes, Joanne,

Those are gallbladder symptoms, too.  I think that it's a result of the gallbladder becoming more and more diseased.  It gradually becomes unable to perform its normal functions, which can lead to more dramatic attacks, but also constant digestive issues.  

• Posted

Thanks Lynda, as when you Google it only really has symptoms for full blown attacks., not the everyday uncomfortable chest and back pain etc. That just throws up worrying diseases.

Some days are worse than others, I can go a week without only very mild discomfort then like today wake up with chest pain that lasts all day going into my back and hurting more a few hours after eating and it just won't shift.

• Posted

Hi Joanne, 

Another possibility might be that you have a deteriorating gallbladder and a hital hernia, which can also cause pressure and pain.  

You are doing well to reduce the size of your meals, eat frequently and go low fat.

Please let me know how you get on! xx

• Posted

I managed so well for 10 years on lower fat diet, but now on very low fat and small meals I am still getting trouble. Just not attacks.

I am still hungry and want to eat just to scared to, no loss of appetite or nausea, but I have lost 2 stone now due to the low fat and small meals. I have a phobia of general anaesthetic but realise I am going to have to have it out eventually. Hopefully it is just the gallbladder and nothing worse.

• Posted

Ah, I had mine out in 2009. I'm 68.  My difficulty was that I had lost 20 or more pounds about 7 or 8 times in my life.  I lost 20 pounds at 17; got pregnant twice and lost that weight, too.  (I'm not counting what I went through when I divorced.)  Remarried, lost 20, gained 30, then got Hashimoto's thyroiditis and lost it again.  Gained it all back again (was I nuts, or what?).  Lost it again, then had gallbladder issues.  No surprise there.

It is said that gaining and losing weight several times in one's lifetime can contribute to gallbladder disease and the formation of stones, and I'm sure of it.  

Though my gallbladder showed up with some stones in it, it wasn't thickened.  When it was removed it was full of very small stones and sludge.  I was so glad to be rid of it, I can't tell you!

Usually the surgery goes well.  And, you're under anesthesia a minimum amount of time.  I think it's important to get it removed before you have complications from it becoming too diseased. xx    

• Posted

I'm 42 and have 5 kids, diagnosed after number 3, modified my diet, lost 42 pounds and managed OK mainly with only minimal diet restrictions, was OK when I had baby 4, so much I gained 20 of the 40 pounds back. Got pregnant with number 5 20 months ago and was diabetic so had to have low sugar high fat diet, lost the 20 pounds whilst pregnant. Soon after he was born my gallbladder well assume it's my gallbladder again started playing up with full blown attacks, so cut right back again. Have lost more weight etc, but this last 6m have got worse as I explained earlier with the constant pains not just attacks. I have been putting off going to Dr as afraid that it's maybe something worse or that I will have to have it out. But I have now booked in at the Dr for next week. I will probably be refereed for scans again as it's been 10 years since my last one.

sorry for the life story lol

• Posted

Well, you have your hands full!  smile  I'm glad to know more about you.  I understand that gallstones are made up of cholesterol--so gaining and losing weight makes it worse.  

Please let me know how you do!

• Posted

Will do going to do a list of symptoms etc before my appointment so I don't miss anything.

Just Google the hiatus hernia. Some people's symptoms of that are very similar to my chest back shoulder pains as well!

• Posted

I started out with a small hiatus hernia, now, it's a medium sized one.  No Roman banquets for me!  smile

• Posted

Most definately Joanne. My husband is exactly the same,still waiting for op.However, he does have a pre-op on Monday, so we we are hopefully getting there albeit slowly. Keep your chin up .
  • Posted

Hi Joanne I'm pretty much the same as you which is why I'm unsure about having the op as mine is more annoying and uncomfortable rather than severe pain i have aching in back and bloating and wind as you are I'm trying as long as i can to go without the op 😆😷🤐🤒

• Posted

Yes I get discomfort most of the time. I have only once had an 'attack' which was only for 2.5 hrs under my rib and wasnt that severe. Otherwise I get intermittent bloating, gas, stomach cramps, alternate upset stomach/constipation, belching, gas bubbling in stomach, odd sharp pains, rib aches/bruised feeling which comes and goes. Started getting a sharp pain within an hr of foods across my stomach recently too. Reflux and generally feeling ill.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.