Constant dizziness and not feeling right. What’s wrong with me?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Around 2 weeks ago, I was feeling totally fine and all of a sudden while walking, I experienced severe dizziness and a feeling of rocking back and forth.  I couldn’t stand up and had to lie down.  I went to urgent care who just did a basic blood test and gave me meclizine and said to see an ENT.

I saw an ENT and they referred me to a balance clinic, couldn’t find anything wrong with my ear but said it’s possible for inner ear.

Fast forward to three days ago and the dizziness and feeling of rocking is still ongoing everyday.  Three days ago I experienced weakness in my left side of the head, left arm, and right leg.  It could have been anxiety since I suffer from severe anxiety, so I didn’t go to the ER once it resolved.

The following day, I saw an optometrist because I had noticed some blurry vision and misreading words often.  They said my optic nerve seemed swollen and sent me to an emergency opthomologist.  The opthomologist resident also ran tests that showed slight swelling but were inconclusive in terms of it being just optic nerve drusen.  They also sent me for MRI with and without contrast which came back normal except for saying that my optic nerve sheath was prominent in the imaging.

Today I’m still feeling weak and offbalance.  My eyes also seem somewhat red on the sides.  Should I be concerned?  The opthomologist resident didn’t seem too concerned or knew what it was.  Would the MRI have shown if I had swelling or increased pressure in the brain?  I hate feeling this way but maybe someone knows what I might have.  Thank you.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I should also mention that I’ve been having “tension” or fullness in the head recently where the head feels very heavy.
  • Posted

6 years ago I experienced extreme lightheadedness, difficulty hearing, extreme confusion, weakness, extreme and intense rocking back and forth and in all directions 24/7. felt like somebody was throwing me around, always walking on the edge of a cliff, feeling like the floor disappeared behind me, walls breathed, had to push against a wall at night because it felt like someone was pushing me as hard as they could. that 24/7 of all of those symptoms went away 6 months later after taking a single quarter pill of .5mg clonazepam. Without that medication everyday, exercise, and very minute amounts of alcohol I would still suffer from all of that. I was really fortune to find a neurologist to do the best he could do to diagnose something that was invisible on a million different ear , balance and brain tests/scans. 

I have suffered from anxiety my whole life, clonazepam makes anxiety worse in my opinion , but it stops the extreme illusion of movement, confusion, and everything else. 

• Posted

That sounds similar to me.  Did they find anything in your eyes and was this constant headache 24/7 if you don’t mind me asking?
  • Posted

I’m so sorry you have to go through this honestly if your feeling all this there are many doctors now a days sorry to say don’t know what there doing . If I was you I’d go back in if you have to cry do so . Tell them your scared and you can’t go any were cause these issue you feel if you do any thing it’s on going . How old are you if you don’t mind saying?ears eyes can do many things , also you were walking all the sudden bang your eyes did that ? How why did the swelling come about ? Are you on any medications? Did you get some thing in your eyes and very strange that you feel this weakness and unbalanced but eyes ears can do many strange things .i would go back tell them u don’t feel safe u can’t go any were cause when u stand up u feel this way. Maybe they will admit you . Plz let me know out of concern we’re all hear to help hopefully gets resolved fastly.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your help!  I’m 21 male and very overweight, 5’9 and about 250lbs.  2 years ago, I also had a massive headache that had me fall down out of nowhere.  Many imaging tests later, they couldn’t find anything and said it was probably somatization disorder where my anxiety doesn’t feel like normal anxiety, yet manifests itself into physical symptoms.

I’ve recovered very well and was feeling great these past two years since that episode.  But now with this episode of constant offbalance, tension headache, and finding of optic nerve swelling in both the ophthalmology exam and MRI, I’m getting worried that this is something serious.  I was looking into idiopathic Intracranial hypertension which is like a fake tumor, but im probably not doing myself any favors looking them up.  I would assume a clean mri would show head pressure, signs of tumors, stroke, ms, etc if it wasn’t normal.  I’m just nervous about what it could be.

• Posted

I wonder if this could be cause of your weight I’m gonna check on few things and I’ll get back to yoj
    • Posted

Thank you! The ER opthamologist didn’t seem concerned when I spoke with him again today and said mri would usually show pressure?  Should I be pushing for lumbar puncture?  Thanks
  • Posted

Sorry I’ve been pretty sick lately also to night started getting majore pain left side pretty sure it’s my diverticlious disease . Did you find out any thing hun?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.