Constant dizziness nearly six months after car accident, BPPV ruled out

Posted , 7 users are following.

Way back in January, I made a thread about my dizziness symptoms following a minor car accident. The most common response was that this was most likely BPPV, and that I should see an ENT to get it sorted.

Well, I've seen one, and it's not BPPV. Both the ENT and a physiotherapist specializing in vertigo ruled it out. I attempted to return to work back in March, but had to go off sick again after a few weeks when my symptoms beame too severe for me to function.

I'm seeing a neurologist next month, but I'm starting to get desperate. No one can tell me when (or if!) this will go away, and I haven't been able to find any explanation for what exactly is causing the symptoms, beyond that it's something to do with my neck muscles. I'm now using a walking stick so I don't fall over when out in public.

Is there anyone out there who experienced these symptoms after a car crash, who *didn't* have BPPV or some other inner ear problem?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Some people have issues with whiplash after a car accident. You can look into Verticle Heterphoria, that's an eye condition.

• Posted

You can look up Barre lieou syndrome.Whiplash assocated disorder, Atlanto axial instability, vertebrobasllar insuffiency as well. You may want to go to a good chiropractor even though some people are not fond of them.
  • Posted

I'm so sorry, and I'm going through the exact same thing.... I've had the same dizziness, constant, never stops! I was in a car accident and suffered a concussion and whiplash September last year, this is when all my symptoms started, I was then in a second car accident in April, and received another concussion... I was diagnosed with Post concussion syndrome, months after the first accident.. In unable to drive, because of the dizziness.. I went to a ENT to see if it was vestibular, it was not... I also can not walk any where, outside of my home, without holding on to my husbands hand, as I feel I will topple over otherwise... I also now have sensory issues to sound and light, also... I've been told, this may get better, but it also may not... I was also told that to expect it to take at least a year to year and a half for improvement... I hope every day, that this isn't the way I'm going to be the rest of my life... I've considered a balance, service dog, if I donor improve... All the best!

• Posted

Consider these other issues. Look them up to see if they fit your problem.

Verticle Heterphoria

Barre Lieou

whiplash assocated disorder

Atlanto axial instability

vertebrobasllar insuffidency

• Posted

Has your symptoms gotten better from then to now as I'm going through the same thing got dizzy 6 months after my accident and as everyday I'm lightheaded off balance type feelings 

• Posted

Mine did not get better until about 1 month ago, I’ve had a balance issue for almost 2 years, from a car accident. My Dr sent me to a vision therapist, that prescribed prism glasses with a +50 lens, and my dizzy is so much better with them on!! I go to my vision therapist once a month, there goal is to get me out of these glasses... With my glasses on, my dizzy is a 3 -5, without a 7 -10... It was like a miracle for me when they put the glasses on me... It’s due to vestibular damage, from the car accident... all the best.
    • Posted

Hi John08409

I realize your post is from 10 months ago, but I need to respond. As I was also in a car accident about 6 months ago. I had a bit of whiplash and went for physio for several weeks. I thought that I was doing well and okay but a few weeks ago I started having dizziness, unbalanced, vision accompanied with nausea. I went to see the first Doctor Who diagnosed me with having labyrinthitis. The other doctor said meniers disorder.

I thought it was getting better just this past week because I had a couple of good days with minor issues but then just started back with extreme dizziness and unbalanced again. I just wondered how you were doing and if you're doing anything differently to help your situation.

• Posted

I was injured by a chiropractor 9 months ago (my neck) and I've had all these horrible symptoms since. I was told I have a vestibular problem and given rehab exercises. I can say they have helped, I'm not perfect but I've improved. They don't help straight away, and it feels you take a step forward then two steps back but if you stick with it things do improve. I have been doing them for 6 weeks, I don't know if I will ever be perfect again though.

• Posted

I was in an accident 6 months ago. Was rear ended when I was stopped and she was goin 40 miles an hour on freeway. It was traffic in the morning time. I have neck and back aches now and got vertigo in April. I’m wondering if this is related as well. Seeing other people have this issue after an accident makes me wonder.
  • Posted

My C1 and C2 are out of place. This can cause a lot of the issues we re having. go to a cervical Chiropractor and have them do an x ray to see if there are issues. Look up C2 in neck and dizzy to get more info.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.