Constant dizziness when walking, not sitting or lying down

Posted , 8 users are following.

As the title says I have no problem sitting or lying down, but once on my feet it feels,  like someone said in an earlier post,  as if I'm mildly drunk.  If anyone else shares this , which I am told is vestibular neuritis, do they drive?  I haven't, but would like to.  Any thoughts and/or ideas welcome. Thank you!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Mine set in almost 6 weeks ago. No driving. Your balance works between your eyes, ears and feet. Would be bad if you get vertigo doing highway speeds. Lol. Usually that's how mine starts. Little dizzy now and then. Then the vertigo hits

• Posted

Mine 16 weeks ago. No driving. If I sit in  passenger side I can keep a steady eye on the white line. It's if an animal, god forbid, a child ran out. I'm not sure of my own reflexes. Good enough in a chair and a driving seat is a chair, but not so very sure on the road so won't do it.

• Posted

Just riding in a car is hard enough. By the time I get to the docs office, I have to sit in the car a while. Wait for my head to catch up. Then can't wait to get back home.

• Posted

I have similar symptoms but I do drive, no long drives but for daily works. It makes me sick driving but there is no other option.
  • Posted

Depends, can you do emergency stop no problem. If you swing your head around to the left and right do your eyes act normally, as these are the normal functions of driving. I had to cancel driving for 4 months and tell DVLA then restarted again like you. - Wobbly standing up, fine sitting and lying down. Believe it or not cycling whilst you are like that is absolutely fine as sitting down, ( I prefered cycle tracks or very quiet roads on weekdays as quieter) It also gets you you out in the freshair and nature).

The most important thing are balance exercises at home, pilates, chi kung, gentle tai, chi, meditation, walking etc however these will tire you out and may need a sleep afterwards.

The worse thing for me is 3 years down the line is my head it is still periodically foggy, especially when tired ie difficult trying to concentrate and retain knowledge. But I am well and look normal and just have to smile and keep happy, best way for me is to go for walks

• Posted

Omg fast starts and quick stops kill me. If I look to the side while riding in the car, when I turn back and look straight, makes my head spin hard
    • Posted

Best advice don't drive, your head spins my eyes always felt as if they were going around my head. You also have to inform DVLA I believe.

Be brave and just do simple exercises

• Posted

Docs make notifications around here immediatly if you can't drive. Already done. My boss had cataracts. Told him he shouldn't drive til it's corrected. He got a letter 3 days later they had been notified by his doc. Lol. My wife drives me around.

• Posted

Not sure if it has anything to do with it but I was slammed with debilitating dizziness not vertigo over two years ago. Bad episodes come and go but real bad ones happen when my blood pressure drops too low. The only thing anyone has found that is concrete and I hope some of you will look into it is that my thyroparoxidase antibodies are very high suggesting auto immune dysfunction. Can attack anywhere usually the thyroid. Makes you foggy,tired, irritable and panicky. Down right terrified at times. Gets worse when over worked, stressed or tired. Look into it but don't expect much medical help as they don't understand nor admit this disease called Hoshimotos can be causing the chronic dizziness. Vestibular therapy, Youtube vvideos and essential oils along with meditation seems to help.

• Posted

Hi  ,same here  .i am 55  male , when a walk or climb step mildly drunk for over a year now .doctor did not give me name to what i have  yet and i do not work (bus driver )
  • Posted

I just jumped onto patient again(in the reflux and menopause threads) because i have noticed that lately when i go for a walk my head feels all full and dizzy.  I hve pressure in my eyes and my sinuses feel full on the inside, but no runny nose or other symptoms except maybe crackly ears.  Lights in stores and outdoor lights seem to bring it on. I am seeing a functional neurologist who thinks it is inflammation related, but it is making me nervous because i really love to walk and just cant do it outside.  I will have to look into vestibular neuritis....who knew??  Anyway you are not alone in this funky, annoying and distressing symptom.  please keep posting your progress, as will I.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.