Constant dizziness with Menieres

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, 

I’m 21 and for the last 3 months I’ve suffered with constant dizziness and nausea, with the occasional bout of deafness followed by tinnitus. I’ve been to several doctors, and the ENT diagnosed me with stress (which is ridiculous). I’m currently bed bound and seeing another ENT tomorrow. I know menieres usually manifests as bouts of severe vertigo - so I’m wondering if any of you have ever had constant dizziness with it? I’m so desperate to find answers to this, I’ve had to drop out of my life. 

All the best,

Christina

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

What tests did the former ent run?   I think the new ent will be a good choice typically they would do a hearing test and MRI to rule out anything else 
  • Posted

If your hearing test was fine i am no doctor but it sounds like something other than mennieres
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice smile, so the audiologist who did my hearing test said it is possible to have perfect hearing with Menieres for a few years if it’s in early stages, but again I’m not a doctor so I’m not sure either way, just trying to find some answers. 
    • Posted

I suppose so but most have tinitus or some hearing effect alghough yes much less the first couple years
  • Posted

Hi Chistina

you are very young to have Meniere’s. It could be one of several vestibular disorders. I was initially diagnosed with labyrinthitis which shares some of the symptoms of Meniere’s. Hopefully your ent guy will give you an accurate diagnosis. Good luck. 

• Posted

Thanks for your response, I too was diagnosed with labyrinthitis a few months ago. I am still wondering though, have you ever suffered constant dizziness with it? I’ll update This tomorrow with ent verdict. 
  • Posted

Hi Christina,

Im 28 and was diasgnosed with Menieres about 5 years ago. It took them about 1 year to diagnose me with it. Mine started with dizzy spells and vommiting, not constantly, but could hit me at any time, any day and only went away if i lay down and slept. 

These lasted quite some time and have eventually stopped. I haven’t had one in quite some time now, probably about 3 years. 

My main issue with Menieres is the hearing going up and down. Some days I wake up and can hear properly in the ear (its my left ear is thats effected with it) and others i wake up and feels half deaf. 

I was told that Menieres disease symptoms of hearing being worse in the morning was a very common sign. 

Its very hard to hear people talking in an environment like a Restaurant or Bar, with noise in the background. This can be very frustrating. 

They will probably give you an MRI of your head, and then run the other hearing tests etc, which can take some time. 

Im just sharing my experience with you as i’m young like yourself. Hopefully your dizzyness subsides like mine did. 

Keep me updated on your progress. 

Good Luck!

James

• Posted

Hi James, thanks so much for sharing your story with me. Can I ask how long each spell would last? Would there be much space between them typically? Maybe I'm having spells but can’t really tell...I do get dizzier days and better days. 

It’s good to hear you don’t have them anymore! Are you taking medication for it? 

My ENT had an emergency today and had to cancel, I’ve been rescheduled in for a weeks time (can’t believe it!) so I have more time to think and hopefully figure things out. I’ve had an MRI and hearing test, all came back fine. 

Yours seems like a positive story - I’ve felt so scared at the possibility of having menieres so young, I imahine you felt the same - it’s nice to hear there’s a bit of light and stability at the end of it all. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.