Constant ear pressure

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all. I was diagnosed 15 month ago. The vertigo isn't as bad as it was at first, which I'm thankful for. However, the last 3 days I have been experiencing CONSTANT pressure in both ears. Is this normal? It doesn't hurt, but it is uncomfortable. I made an appt with my ENT for tomorrow. Any ideas would be appreciated.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

For me, I get increased pressure when I have too much salt. When I cut back the salt and drink more water, the pressure gets better.

• Posted

what meds are you taking? do you have allergies and/or have you ever been treated for allergies? are you taking allergy meds...if so are they oral or inhaler?

• Posted

The only meds I take are Dyazide (diuretic) and Celebrex (back pain). Both are oral capsules and neither are new to me.

• Posted

Brandy, are you certain that you have MD? Did an ENT give you a hearing test to confirm? If you do have it then you should probably also be on Betahistine. Has your ENT discussed Betahistine with you? If not, please ask the ENT to prescribe it. Betahistine at the right dose will minimize vertigo, ear fullness and even reduce tinnitus in most patients. It does not work for everyone but it does work for the vast majority of folks when they reach the necessary dosage for them.....that could be 48mg/day or higher. My "sweet spot" is 64mg/day (16mg taken 4 times/day). If your ENT does not know about Betahistine then I suggest you make an appointment with a Neurotologist (ENT who specializes in inner ear diseases). They will know about Betahistine.

• Posted

I am positive it's M.D. I've had extensive tests done to rule out anything else. I will ask my ENT tomorrow about Betahistine. Thank you.

• Posted

Hey Brandy, I have bilateral MD and this happens to me whenever there is a change in weather. For whatever reason, the change in barometric pressure affects my ear pressure (aural fullness) & tinnitus.

hang in there....

• Posted

I've said this before but you won't get a doctor to approve of It. I've had MD since 1975. had the sectioning of the balance nerve to stop the drop attacks in 2010. the inner eat pressure and tinnitus vary in intensity with all the points stated above. Salt, barametric pressure, stress, anxiety, etc. the ONLY thing thay helps is 10mg Diazapam combined with 5-325 Hydracodone. within 1/2 hour you'll feel much better. Again, you won't find a doctor to agree. i'm speaking from many years of experience. good luck.

• Posted

agree with all the above as well as extra caffeine my main culprit is the allergy season ir cjange in barometric pressure i am on dyazide as well as betahistine my ENT thankfully is very good and not above saying that they really dont fully know the cause or culprits and what works for some does not for others he counts on his patients to give feedback as to what works and passes the info along as well as any research he has donethere is a study about pycogenol helping some folks

good luck

• Posted

caffeine of any kind makes the vertigo a hundred times worse. I know everyone is different. Thanks for your input though. Much appreciated. ☺

• Posted

anytime its so weird some days i can have it and not feel it other days wow which makes me guess all of the time at what the heck is causing the feeling that i am in a tunnel

• Posted

betahistine is a funny drug some doctors wont prescribe it but google it and print out some success stories has to come from a conpounding pharmacy its done winders for me and my ENT IS ALL FOR ITno side effects but does take awhile to get into your system

• Posted

I've had menieres for over 15 years. Pressure for me usually means a vertigo attack is immenent. Ive been on calcium blockers as experiment with my ENT for ayear and a half and have not experienced another attack. Also diuretic. have it in both ears as of 3 yrs now and use hearing aids. Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.