Constant Elevated Blood Pressure, Possible Adrenal Problem?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've had constantly elevated blood pressure for about a year now, maybe a little more. I also frequently get headaches, have sweating spells, and feel anxious.

My doctor did a blood test on me, which came back normal, because she suspected it was hyperthyroidism at first. I also had an EKG done, which came back normal. I'm only 21 years old, and my doctor doesn't really know what to do with me, because I shouldn't have high blood pressure at this age. 

I posted here, because I'm wondering if I could possibly have an adrenal disorder or adrenal tumor. My next step is to see an internist.

My great grandmother also had Neurofibromatosis 1 skin pigmentation, and I read that I could be more susceptible to an adrenal tumor because of it.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think that blood pressure is also due to hypothyroidism. But I am not 100% sure.
  • Posted

Hi

Well I don't know why youd have high blood pressure

But high blood pressure is usually connected to heart problems

Or artery problems caused by arterial plaque

Arterial plaque is caused by cholesterol

And saturated fats

Products like meats and cheeses can cause this

That would be where to start

Then medications, are you taking medications , etc...

• Posted

You could ask your doctor for an mri of your arteries

To see if they are clear

Also there are mamy fruits, vegetables

That can naturally reduce blood pressure

Try organic juices like blueberry

• Posted

Hi Hailey,

You seem to know something about adrenal disorders. You are young for Conn's syndrome, a disease of the adrenal glands which causes hypertension.  But it may be possible.  It is also called hyperaldosteronism.  There are tests that can be done.  You are right to suggest it to your doctor. 

One way to lower  BP is to keep your salt/sodium intake to a very minimum and see if that makes a difference.  

The problem with trying to treat hypertension with various antihypertensives is that the ones which work for conditions other than Conn's are not effective for adrenal disorders. And not all adrenal disorders are treated by sodium restriction.

I finally had my Conn's syndrome diagnosed about 7 years ago after a lifetime of sodium intolerance and hypertension. My BP dropped 75 points after my left adrenal gland was removed along with its large cyst.  It was too late to cure/prevent the hypertension completely because more than 50 years of undiagnosed Conn's had brought me into second stage kidney failure. Conn's was not even discovered until 1956  -- when I was 16 years old.

My hypertension is much better now but I still must keep my sodium intake below 7-800 mg/day.  I count the sodium mg in my daily food like some people count calories. There are medications which help but I have other

conditions make them inadvisable.

You are very wise to search for the cause at such a young age. The wrong diagnosis can lead to even more

problems. Good luck. Be persistent.

• Posted

Hi Hailey,

You seem to know something about adrenal disorders. You are young for Conn's syndrome, a disease of the adrenal glands which causes hypertension.  But it may be possible.  It is also called hyperaldosteronism.  There are tests that can be done.  You are right to suggest it to your doctor. 

One way to lower  BP is to keep your salt/sodium intake to a very minimum and see if that makes a difference.  

The problem with trying to treat hypertension with various antihypertensives is that the ones which work for conditions other than Conn's are not effective for adrenal disorders. And not all adrenal disorders are treated by sodium restriction.

I finally had my Conn's syndrome diagnosed about 7 years ago after a lifetime of sodium intolerance and hypertension. My BP dropped 75 points after my left adrenal gland was removed along with its large cyst.  It was too late to cure/prevent the hypertension completely because more than 50 years of undiagnosed Conn's had brought me into second stage kidney failure. Conn's was not even discovered until 1956  -- when I was 16 years old.

My hypertension is much better now but I still must keep my sodium intake below 7-800 mg/day.  I count the sodium mg in my daily food like some people count calories. There are medications which help but I have other

conditions which make them inadvisable.

You are very wise to search for the cause at such a young age. The wrong diagnosis can lead to even more

problems. Good luck. Be persistent.

• Posted

Also,

Hopefully they will check your pituitary and

Cortisol levels

Cortisol levels can be very effective in

Finding pituitary or adrenal problems

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.