constant fear of Illness and death

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 22. I was told I had anxiety at 16 after my first baby. Symptoms seemsd to calm after a while. However I've always had slight ocd and stupid thoughts and the slightest thing I feel or see on me I panic. Since my last baby (naturally delivered and breastfed) two years ago. My bowel movements have been different. I just put it down hormones and not watching my diet. We was eating a lot of takeaways and not really watching what we was eating. I wouldn't be able to go toilet for a few days maybe a week and then I'd go normal. But that has been ongoing. It had always been on my mind along with anxiety on how I looked down below after having a baby however I didn't really let it get to me. I was looked at by a gyna and my gp who took swabs and generally has a look at my cervix. All came back fine. Went to my gp saying I wasn't really going to the toilet and I was worried my bum wasn't right. She had a quick look and feel and said it all seems fine and sent me on my way. That was back in the middle of last year.

Ever since I have been worrying about it all but not really letting it get to me. Over the past few months, I've been feeling a little more stressed and I have found myself snapping quite quickly. I don't know a certain time exactly that has given me any cause for anxiety I just have a house to run. And no sleep.

Then all of a sudden I felt fine, I went to stand and my legs just went from underneath me. My legs were numb. I went into a right state. I think I was nearly having a panic attack. I went outside and just had to breath. That night I woke up having a panic attack. I shot uo in my sleep, couldn't breath, heart was pounding. I as shaking and having a cold sweat. It took me a while to go back to sleep but after I did I didn't wake until the morning.

Since then I've been having loads of symptoms. One that is really getting to me is my belly, it feel so heavy, it's making horrible noises and generally feeling weird. It's been on my mind loads and I went to the doctors. Long story cut short, I'm booked in for a scan on my belly. Since then I just cannot cope. Thought in my mind constantly, worry, I can't have a conversation because my mind is on something else. I'm really hoping my symptoms are anxiety related and nothing else. I feel awful.

Does anyone else have similar symptoms? My scan is tomorrow I'm petrified of the results.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Been there.I had stomach issues for months.Went to a gastroenterologist and he thought it was more a case of irritable bowel syndrome from stress and anxiety.The mind body connection is huge and I bet your worrying has played a huge roll in your symptoms.I have health phobias..i have somthing new that i find hard to accept that has changed my life healthwise and i think of it almost twentyfour seven.Guess what..my stomach has begun acting up again.Good luck with the test tomorrow, I am betting you are fine.Have you told them about the anxiety?If not,you should..maybe counseling or meds would help.Good luck tomorrow.
    • Posted

The more I think about it the worse the 'pain' gets its as if I can actually feel feeling get stronger as I start thinking about it. The thought of being ill when I have children takes me into a very dark place. I have just not had motivation for weeks. I have read the connection but I just don't believe that's that the case for me. My doctor is adiment I'm to young to be looking st anything serious. I hope he's right. from the age of probably about 14 I have had problems. I actually remember the start of it all. It was something as tiny as putting my mascara on and it 'not feeling right' on my eye. I haven't mentioned anything about my anxiety to the doctors for years. Probably because I'm worried that they will just put my symptoms down to anxiety and just tell me il be fine and then miss some thing. So I want to keep it to myself until I have some reassurance with tests.

• Posted

Yes do what you need to so you can reassure yourself about nothing being wrong.I am on an anxiety meds,my doc thinks i need one lol and although i still have anxiety it helps me greatly with day to day life.
  • Posted

Hi Georgina, Have you tried reflexology? or aromatherapy? Both very good for stress. How about walking or swimming? Anxiety is awful. Rescue remedy is great. regards Amanda
    • Posted

I haven't I may look into it thank you!

tbh since this anxiety I'm quite lazy. I'm alway quite down and can really pull myself together. Can't even go for a walk without thinking something might happen to me.

• Posted

Hi Georgina,

I have severe health anxiety as well and have been really bad for over 2 months. I google symptoms and send myself into a full panic attack. I too got up out of bed a couple weeks ago and my leg gave out on me. This sent me into a panic thinking I had a serious neurological disease. I asked people if they ever had this happen and they all said they did so it eased my mind somewhat. It's constant with me I am always checking myself for lumps and pain ad it is exhausting I just way to be happy and not worry like this about everything

• Posted

I to feel myself for lumps bumps and look at everything. Then obviously you find something and that's it then. Your ill! I sit there sometimes amongst friends and family and there all laughing etc and I look and just think I want to be normal like that!

I even lie there or sit there and think 'can I feel any pain anyway?' And I'll sit and think and obviously you then do!

I use google way to much but I'm always first to tell people not to go to dr Google for their symptoms!

• Posted

Update **

I had my scan (still waiting for results) but it was mentioned nothing was to worry about. but I seen a gyna today and everything is fine in that area!

Next stop is to look more into my upper abdomen I think! I am booked in for a checkup in couple week with my gp but I guess he will want to discuss my results from the referal anyway in the next couple days or so

• Posted

Oh you sound so much like me,im going to the doctor tomorrow and im terrified..im always looking at everyone in the waiting room wondering how they can be so calm?Waiting for test results drives me crazy,everytime the phone rings i go into a panic thinking the doctor is calling with horrible news.How did your scan go?
    • Posted

I know I'm the same. I've been near my phone for two days waiting for a call. I think it went fine. The results are going back to my gp within three days which brings me to tomorrow so I'm either waiting for a call or a letter I think. If not i guess I'll have to ring on Monday and ask about them! But I suppose if there was anything to worry about in that area then I would of had an emergency call basically right away!
    • Posted

Yup.im thinking of asking him to send the results bymail so the phone doesnt drive me crazy..whats the worse that can happen?He thinks wow she really does have anxiety lol
  • Posted

Hello,

I'm responding because you are definitely not alone in these feelings of yours! I've always been pretty healthy apart from some chronic digestive issues but last month I was diagnosed with a staph infection and this month a strep infection! I've been on 2 strong antibiotics in the past 2 months and needless to say my bowel movements are practically non-existent now!

Couple that with random pains on my sides and upper back and I've absolutely convinced myself to the point of a breakdown that I'm dying of pancreas cancer! I'm sure you will be absolutely fine. It's a good thing you went to get checked. I've never been this bad before but for the past few days I've been non stop go ogling my symptoms.

I definitely know what it's like to be convinced beyond all doubt that there's something horribly wrong with your body. So don't think you're alone in this trust me!! Let us know how your results go smile good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.