Constant feeling of nervous stomach/extreme hunger feeling?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I need Ideas people! Anything, we are desperate. My husband has been ill with this for around 10 yrs. It was manageable and mis-diagnosed as ibs/anxiety until about 1 year ago when it got much worse. He has a hard time describing it but says it feels like knots in stomach, nervous stomach, extreme hunger,  a gnawing feeling or like adrenaline. It' so bad to the point he cannot function. He is only 41 and his quality of life right now is ziltch. He wakes up through the night with it, it is there 24/7 and never relents. He is under the care of a gastro and has had numerous tests (mri, scopes (no ulcers), pill cam, ultrasounds, etc... all come up with nothing) Bloodwork so far has shown anemia, slight elevated lipase and he has recently been diagnosed with sibo and hypothrryoidism. We used to think it was GI related but we are starting to wonder if it is related to his adrenals/hormones maybe? Anyone ever heard of anything like this? Almost like he is having a constant flight or fight response in his stomach 24/7.The rest of his body does not have this constant fight or flight feeling, ex) he is not sweating, no increased heart rate etc... I will give whoever help me crack this case the biggest super appreciative cyber hug. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I am overwhelmed... I have hypothyroidism and I know that it can give HYPOGLYCEMIA. It does not happen to me, so I am not familiar with the symptoms of that. I think that people feel hungry because the sugar levels go down... and they eat the wrong food.  I do not know the symptoms of SIBO, but I know that if the intestinal flora is not 'right' and one has dysbiosis one has problems.  In my case is leaky gut or more formally called intestinal permeability. That does not make people feel like your husband does though. Has he had his sugar levels properly checked? Does he eat 'non dairy'? low  carbohydrates, bread, french fries... Does he eat well? I mean no high GI  foods like corn snacks, sugar? I'd like to help more. I started taking water keffir to help my dysbiosis (unbalanced intestinal flora). I hope that you find an answer. By the way what is pill cam ?

I also send you a cyber hug and with you luck.

Let us know...[/b]

• Posted

Anemia and hypothryroidism... I suggest that it is time you saw an endocrinologist. It would seem that your gastroenterologist is dealing with symptoms, not underlying causes.
  • Posted

I just came across your post.

I agree 100% with Roddy. This is a task for an endocrinologist. Find a highly regarded one as the problems you outline are complex and can only properly be assessed by an endocrinologist.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Any developments?

has he checked his testosterone? Low levels of which cause extreme hunger and insomnia.

• Posted

Any developments?

has he checked his testosterone? Low levels of which cause extreme hunger and insomnia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.