Posted , 4 users are following.
This is my first time doing this so I want to try to be as detailed as possible, as I have gone through several doctors and am simply not satisfied with my current situation and honestly don't know what else to do.
Note: I am a 26 year old male, have always loved sports/weight lifting. I still lift on a regular basis but cannot do cardio exercises like running because it bothers me/my breathing/burns sometimes.
It all started about one year ago when I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I couldn't breathe. I went to the ER after about 2 days I was having a hard time breathing, always feeling like I was short of breathe. He gave me a inhaler which did not help, then after a few days my symptoms went away and I had this feeling of air trapped in my chest/throat and I was constantly forcing myself to burp in order to relieve these symptoms. He referred me to a gastroenterologist, with whom essentially determined and diagnosed me with some gastritis and GERD/Acid reflux.
Tests I have done:
- upper endoscopy (showed some gastritis/inflammation and acid reflux)
- 2 stool tests to check for h. pylori and other bacterium (both negative)
- esphogeal manometry and (2) 24hour pH tests (one without nexium and second time after maxed on nexium, twice a day. showed I was swallowing a lot of air and had acid reflux)
- swallow test? forgot what it's called but I drank liquids and they saw how it went down through xray.
- lung/heart doctor (negative)
Nothing has helped. I was prescribed prilosec, nexium, etc with no relief. I still take 1 nexium a day now as when I stopped, the forced belching would bring acid up and burn my chest/throat.
My doctors are now trying to prescribe me Zoloft in order to "suppress" my brain and feeling these symptoms, but I am hesitant as I assume this would only mask the problem, even if it worked.
I just CANT GET THIS FEELING TO GO AWAY. I am constantly belching, my chest is extremely tight, etc. Is it anxiety? I don't feel anxious.
ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED. PLEASE HELP... THANK YOU.
1 like, 6 replies