Constant head pressure / dizziness

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been suffering with constant head pressre and dizziness now for 2 months following a bad chest viral infection, although the dizziness had started quite a long before (but only for very short periods a couple of times a day).  My doctor has no idea what it is and so far I have been prescibed medications covering vertigo, tension headache and migraine and nothing has worked.  I am currenly on 20mg of amitriptyline which unfortunately hasnt helped either.  This week the pressure has just got worse now accompanied by pain, made worse when I talk for some reason.  I never take time off work but as I work on a computer all day I cannot cope with looking at a screen for long periods so cannot return.  It has truly affected my life in every way.  I have always been fit and active (I am 54) and love walking, acting and playing with my grand-children etc but not able to do any of these things at the moment which is awful.

If anyone can help I would be so grateful.

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I too have had the head pressure problems for over 3 years now. Amitriptylene helped me for a while but then it all came back. No-one seems to know why this happens but I have recently been having cranial osteopathy and this has helped a lot.

• Posted

Thank you Kizzi,

I haven't heard of this but will mention to my doctor at my next appointment.  I have been referred to a neurologist but not likely to receive an appointment for quite a long time but am open to trying anything that may help!

• Posted

Janette72536

I've had some similar problems and was referred to a neurologist.  He carried out some tests on me (watch my finger - stuff like that) and found nothing but he did put me down for a "whole spine MRI". The NHS waiting list was so long that I decided to have the scan done privately.  I got the results yesterday and I'm trying to come to terms with what was found following my GP's explanation of a fairly detailed report. There is too much information to go into here but it did point to arthritis  - as in wear and tear - putting pressure in my neck and leg and in particular, on the nerves, which, in turn, are causing the headaches and leg pain.  I may not like the results but at least I can move forward. 

• Posted

Hi John

Thank you for your response which I find very interesting as only this week I had a bone scan on my feet and ankles as arthritis is suspected by a consultant I've had several appointments with! Pity they couldn't have scanned other parts at the same time but obviously the 'foot' problem is something that's been going on for a couple of years so been waiting a while for that particular scan which is usual with the NHS. I had a major back problem years ago which meant using a wheelchair for 12 months but thankfully with hard work and determination I got through it. Definitely worth bringing up with Doctor though! I hope your problems get sorted ASAP.

• Posted

I have pains in my leg, my foot and now my head.  They are all linked. In my case, there's nothing wrong with my leg, foot, or head....it's the nerves along the spine that are causing the problems.  So don't be surprised if nothing shows up on your foot or ankle scan.
    • Posted

I find the doctors here don't like 'thinking out of the box' and it takes an age to get someone to listen.  I lived in Canada for 4 years and it was a whole different story there.  I wish you well with your treatement.
    • Posted

Aparently France is very thorough too...and I am not ruling out going there to get treatment. It's a fact that the NHS in the UK have limits for their work. If it's not life threatening, it is not a priority.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.