Constant head sweating really getting to me

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm looking for some advice about head sweating, I'm female age 37 and it's driving me nuts!

It happens all the time whether I'm hot or cold, moving or not, it begins and within a minute my hair is soaking wet then as it eases I'm freezing cold because I'm wet.

I dread going anywhere as I know it's going to happen. Blow drying my hair is pointless, as too is wearing any sort of makeup. I'm too young for menopause and any medication I take I've taken for far longer than the sweating has been here so I'm at a loss about what to do.

If anyone has the same issue can you let me know how you cope with this because I'm really fed up.

Thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Yes, I had it really bad for 6 years even though I was on estrogen therapy after having a hysterectomy and oopherectomy a few years previously. My dr was ignoring me, only testing thyroid which was ok. I had discovered that botox on the head and face can help relieve sweating, and I got to the stage (including dripping stinky hair at work) that I was either going to jump off a cliff or pay the money for the botox.

I found a dr who did botox but she said she was rather find out what was causing it first. Yay! She referred me to an endocrinologist who did blood tests and I was high in prolactin. An mri revealed I had a tumour on my pituitary gland. The medication carbergoline relieved the sweating almost immediately and shrunk the tumour. It was like a miracle. I discovered that excess prolactin makes our estrogen ineffective, as a result I was in sudden serious menopause again despite my estrogen therapy. I did not have to have surgery, even though one endocrinologist whom I was referred on to talked about it.

Once having that diagnosis, I had read up on it and I knew surgery was not necessary because carbergoline existed. I hate it that I suffered for 6 years unnecessarily because of my stupid gp.

You will need to ask your dr to request blood tests of pituitary gland hormones or a referral to an endocrinologist. I hope your solution is as simple as that.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.