Constant headache for 5 months- what is it and what can I do??

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve had a constant headache for just over five months. It’s at the back of my head (and can get aching in my neck too). It’s 24/7- there when I wake up and go to sleep. I’ve had a brain scan, my bloods taken twice, acupuncture, massages and osteopathy, none of which has made a single bit of difference. Feeling desperate. Any advice/similar experiences/idea of what it might be very welcome! Thanks 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Isobel

I'm in the me boat.  I've had daily tension headache since the middle of last May - ten months and counting!.  It varies from tightness round my head, to scalp pain, plus other sorts of unpleasant sensations in the head.  It was initially cause by a period of anxiety and I thought it would quickly go.  I'm a fairly anxious person and was on 15g mirtazapine which had been great - up to that moment.  My doctor then upped the dose to 30g but it is having no effect whatsoever. The anxiety has generally gone except the anxiety of knowing whether my head will ever be normal again. . My sleeping is affected, which doesn't help. I have been doing mindfulness, exercise, lots of walking but nothing really helps.  I'm not sure whether a counsellor is the answer - but they are so expensive and the waiting list on the NHS is so long. I would love to just know there is light at the end of the tunnel...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.