Constant headaches

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had severe headaches since I was 10 but lately it has become so constant and severe that no amount of pain killers can get rid of it and it happens almost every other day either when I wake up or leave my house. I had scans done and had been told nothing is abnormal or anything, what can I do to get rid of or lessen the pain?

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Are you using Triptans?  Sumatriptan injection always works for me when nothing else will?  But taken early enough, sumatriptan pills work. Painkillers don’t work for my migraines. Hope things get better!!!  

Gaye

• Posted

Sorry about the headaches,I hear the stress of not knowing what is causing this in your post. Have the doctors suggested any reason for them. In many cases, eyes/ vision can be the culprit. Also headaches can be also caused by stress,allergies, medications, rebound effects from taking aspirin and like meds or even pain meds and especially to much sugar or caffeine drinks are the biggest culprit.In the mean time I would suggest MINDFULLNESS as a way to relax and help on YouTube. I have suffered with migraines and bright light can be a issue as well as stress in my case. A nice cool dark retreat away from noise while listening to mindfullness or listening to calming music. Starting to calm oneself is usually the first step to understanding how we can control our pain. 

Good Luck. Take it slow and you will be better soon! 😊

• Posted

Hi

I have had headaches/migraines since being about 10 aswell, I'm now 50.  This month has been a bad one,13 attacks and I'm only supposed to take no more than 10 eletriptans in a month so am already well over that. 

I have tried everything from conventional medicine right through to complimentary medicine and nothing works other than taking eletriptan when I get the attack.  I have been seeing a private neuro for 3 years, parted with the best part of £700 and I may aswell have thrown it out of the window.  None of the prophylaxis work, no-one has ever offered me a scan and basically I feel abandoned by the NHS and privately.

I'm just spending hours reading up about various things that could help and I'm now going down the dietary route as recommended by an American neuro and fellow sufferer, just bought his book.  He suggests going on a totally wheat free, chocolate free, alcohol free, processed food and caffiene free diet, for a few weeks and then see how the attacks are and then if possible stick to it, but certainly moderate your intake.  Not as difficult as you may think as the choices are pretty good nowadays, I did this 12 years ago and it did make a difference but I lapsed, this time I'm 100% committed and so far gone 3 days without an attack.  It's certainly worth thinking about.

Good Luck

YL

Don't think you're supposed to advertise on here, but if you want the details of the book you can message me

• Posted

Beta blockers are on prescription only but sumatriptan can be bought across the counter but you only get 2 for about £8. The brand name is Imigran.

• Posted

How are you getting on with the diet? I am alcohol, chocolate and caffeine free, I don't eat processed foods, always cook from scratch and mostly vegetarian although I haven't tried going wheat free. I am 62 and in good health apart from my migraines but they have increased over the past year. Fortunately, I mostly wake up with them so if I take something straight away, they usually go within an hour or so, so I am able to get on with my day but would really love to be free of them.

• Posted

yeh sadly if you are over 18 your GP might be able to prescribe them?
    • Posted

Sadly I live in US, the land of expensive and non existent for many, healthcare.  I don’t think we have that product here at all. I use sumatriptan in pill form or injection if they are not responding to the pill. Injection always works. They are both prescription. 
    • Posted

I'm only a week in, but so far gone 6 days without one.  I'm very much like you, cook from scratch and don't eat processed or junk food, also I don't drink tea or coffee either, only herbal drinks and don't drink a lot of alcohol, so it's not that difficult to change to wheat free.  The choice nowadays is amazing and a lot better than it was 12 years ago when I did it for the first time.  I'm also knocking sugar on the head and keeping carbohydrates to a minimum.

You should maybe give it a go and see if it makes any difference.

Mine often start first thing aswell and a triptan usually does the trick, but it's nice not to have to take them as they're not doing anyone any good.

Only time will tell but so far so good.

• Posted

I have suffered for over 40 years, I have tried beta blockers, most other preventatives, seen neurologists, had scans and changed my diet, I am not under any stress BUT over the past year my migraines have become more constant and like you I am getting them most days, mainly in the early hours of the morning. I am off of all preventatives at the moment just to see how I get on, in January I actually had a whole week without one, it was absolutely bliss to wake in the morning migraine free. I hadn't done anything different but now I back to most days. Sumatriptan in my saviour but as someone else has already said you can only take 12 a month. I have found though that sometimes I can get by with just taking half a tablet this reducing the amount I take. If you haven't tried triptans, it may well be worth asking your GP. Unfortunately, it would appear that we are all in the same boat. Good luck.

• Posted

i have had migraine all week which is a bummer, did you try migraleve you can get it over the counter ?
    • Posted

They contain analgesics paracetamol and codene. It's worth a try. 

Migranes had control my whole adult life in til the Triptans. I too a pen injection in the thigh. 

The oddest thing happened once I hip menopause the migranes stopped just as fast as if someone snapped their fingers. It was bliss not waking with a migraine living in a cave and wearing sunglasses at night. Yeah,it all is a memory of the past now. I think in my case and many studies show hormones can be responsible . Who Wudda guessed! 

• Posted

My migraines started in premenopausal years in early 40’s. All the literature and docs said they usually go away after menopause. Mine just got worse. Very disappointing. 

There is is a new class of drugs called Calcitonin Gene Related Peptides or CGRP.

Coming out this year most likely. You can google them for more info. It is an injection that is supposed to prevent. They look very promising. 

• Posted

Thank you I looked calcitonin up and it's a thyroid hormone. 

Its been a very long time when new meds have come out that have been effective. 

I know this will sound strange but it was a gift and it's a migrane helmet fits over the head back and front pressure message music cooling and darkened front for eyes. Lots of bells and whistles.

What helps your migraines ? Besides a quiet dark room and sugarless vanilla ice scream and mabe a good movie with Tom Selleck . So hard to hear that your got worse after menopause. Look into neck area disc problems even jaw? 

Hope it goes completely away soon. 💐

• Posted

i recommend eye cooling masks and swimming and hotbaths? If mine go away after the menopause that is hopeful only 40-50 years of migraines?
    • Posted

Fortunately, I don't have a problem with pain relief, I get sumatriptan on prescription and also sometimes paracetamol with aspirin works. I would just like to reduce the frequency. When I first started getting migraines when I was 17, I only got about 2/3 a year but over the past 20 years ( I am now 62 ) they have got more and more frequent. This past year I have been lucky if I have a week migraine free.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.