constant heart palpitations (16 y/o female)

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello all. lately my heart palpitations have gotten more frequent and more noticiable and it is very, very scary and i don't know what to do. my next doctors appointment is august 13th and i'm praying that it get's better by then. my heart is not to slow or too fast and doesnt seem to speed up when the palpitations occur. they usually happen once or twice at a time but then a couple minutes later it will happen again. i do not get dizzy nor have any dangerous symptoms but it still leaves me with a general feeling of unease. i do have severe anxiety and i will feel fine and then a palpitation will occur and i will get all worked up so i am not sure if these are caused by anxiety or if they are PVC's. please help & i'd be glad to provide more information with my symptoms if you'd like more info. they are really interferring with my daily life so i beg for some reassurance. i'm 16 with no history of heart problems but i still am terrified

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

HI,

my daughter who is 5 suffers the exact same symptoms as your self plus she also suffers headaches

she has had a heart echo scan and a event monitor for a month which we placed on her chest when she complained of palpitations then sent the recording through to the cardioloigist

both scan and recorder results came back clear

we are still trying to get to the bottom of her palpitations but have been told not all palps

are caused by heart conditons

anxiety and caffeine can cause them

i myself used to get them in the end i put mine down to anxiety and i dont get them anymore

tell your doctors about them at your appointment but see someone sooner if you start to get any chest pain or breathing problems in the mean time take care and try not to panic as this could make you worse

please let me know how you get on as any advice could help me get to the bottom of my little ones problems she has her nxt appointment on 30/9

ill get back to you with any advice from her cardiloigst x

• Posted

people can get palpitations when they are dehydrated, have you been drinking enough water?

• Posted

I hope your palpitations have lessened, please try not to get too concerned, I had a halter monitor done a year ago and it captured 2,920 irregular beats in a 24 hour period, but I was

told that in that same 24 hour period my heart contracted 84,000 times, therefore that #

of irregular beats was not serious. I do have a congenital heart defect, but that does not

cause these irregularities. On another note the other poster with the 5 year old daughter

whose being followed for her palpitations who also has headaches needs to be aware that

PFOs (not a heart defect per se) can cause children to sometimes experience headaches

and palpitations. Those "defects" if they're present can be dxed with a saline contrast bubble

study. I had one of those done years ago, but it was negative and then I later learned I had

a true defect known as an atrial septal defect.

Also to the 16 year old who has frequent palpitations, keep in mind that as a menstruating

young woman hormonal fluctuations (very common)can cause palpitations and they're nothing

to worry about in that instance. Good luck to you in your efforts to get a resolution to your

problem.

• Posted

Hi,

thankyou for the information for my 5yr old .

very grateful for it and have just read up about PFO and bubble tests,

would a PFO show up on a echo scan?

my daughter had one and according to the nurse proforming the scan it was one of the clearest scans she had done and brought a student in to show her how the heart works!

so do you think it would of been clear enough to see a PFO?

thanks again for you advise

• Posted

can you please yell me that what are test are required to diagnose heart disease. because i also feels palpitations but till that time i am thinking that it would be the reason because of hyperthyroidism,but now it is cured and now also i fell palpitations, and difficulty in breathing .how many tests doc can do to diagnose if i have some problem.i had a abnormal ecg,but 2 d evho was done that was fine i am very scared that if i have disease .until this i was very fit and my heart was also very strong

• Posted

Feel for you. I'm going through the same. Doc telling me not to worry, but naturally I do - especially when they almost hurt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.