Constant heart palpitations

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have constant heart palpitations almost every single day, mostly after I eat and when I’m laying down to go to sleep, I can just feel my heart pounding hard and it’s so annoying. I’ve also experienced chest pains, and weakness in my body, mainly my legs, I’ll start shaking. A few days ago I was laying down and my heart felt like it stopped for a second, I’m use to the feeling of it skipping a beat but that time it lasted for a long time I thought I was dying. I am 17 years old, I don’t eat unhealthy, I eat fair amounts of fruits and veggies everyday, I don’t drink soda or coffee, mainly water and juices, especially fruit juices like lemonade and Powerade. This has been going on for months and it’s very scary. I am always aware of how my heart is beating, I always can feel it. I don’t have health insurance, my parents won’t take me to a doctor for that reason and I’m too young to get checked out by myself until I turn 18, but that’s months from nowsad I’m scared something bad is going to happen by then 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I get exactly the same symptoms especially after eating but it's not so bad now bc I take beta blockers, I'm wanting to get it sorted myself, also powered and lemonade don't have any nutrition in them

• Posted

Hi Asia ... You have my sympathy...Your first priority is to see a doctor or a cardiologist so that a proper diagnosis and treatment package can be can be arranged  , I'm sure your parents would find the money if they knew how it was affecting you... Having said that, the heart is a very sophisticated and robust piece of equipment and has many "back up" systems in the event of problems. Although palpitations can be  scary and  uncomfortable, they are, more often than not, harmless . Unfortunately, anxiety about them can make them a lot worse. See a doctor as soon as you can and try to be less anxious about them .. they are rarely fatal.

• Posted

As an addendum to my previous,.. In the short term it would be advisable to avoid alcohol and caffeine which are both known to aggravate palpitations... Bear in mind that a lot of soft drinks contain high levels of caffeine.. good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.