Constant High Red Blood Count for 6 years

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read this as I’m on a journey to find out what caused a mysterious illness to affect my life. A year ago, I was diagnosed with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. However, I’m looking for answers on what caused me to develop this chronic condition. After some research, I discovered that for a large portion of my life I’ve had a high RBC. According to the test results, out of 13 CBCs, 8 of them have shown a high red blood count (61% of the time). If anyone could provide information on what could be causing this I would greatly appreciate it.

Background: I’m 15 years old, I have POTS, I have tested positive for a high sedentation rate, once and I have also had a positive ANA test. I was referred to a rheumatologist where they did not find any problems.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello,

I was looking for something else entirely when my eye fell on your question.

I have no idea what POTS is, but a high red blood count might be polycythaemia. You don't fall into the typical age range, but it's not unknown for young people to have it. It's not a common disease (I have it) so not many doctors think about it as a possibility.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.