constant hyperventilation

Posted , 5 users are following.

i feel as though i have forgotten how to breathe i am constantly struggling for long breathes and i feel like i want to breathe more. my body is weak because of it and deep breathing techniques dont work because it comes back i want to know if medication can help for this and if people have gone through this before and are better now. this is the worst anxiety symptom ive ever had. 

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

When I'm having an episode I find that to be able to catch my breath I have to make myself yawn. It's a technique I found a couple of years ago. It does help a bit but the struggling for breath is very unpleasant. Just try and yawn deeply. It really helps.
  • Posted

Hi Dom , sorry to hear what u are going through, I've been the same for 5 months I also keep swallowing and that makes my atomach hard and I'm always very uncomfortable , I also keep coughing to try and clear my throat, I just feel like I have a knot in my stomach all the time , I'm on sertraline and just gone to 100mg this week so hoping that will help , good luck but it's probably worth taking to your doctor, also I'm starting relaxation classes see if that helps
  • Posted

I feel you sad do you also feel dizzy?
    • Posted

yeah a lot of the time but im not even joking excercise really does help and i know what your most probably thinking you are in no mood to be excercising, i was like that i even went today and now i feel good. you just need to break down the feeling that you dont want to do something.
  • Posted

Hi Dom

I am living with constant hyperventilation too. I am seeing a physiotherapist for hyperventilation. I have been told deep breathing exercises make hyperventilation worse.

There is a website called physiohypervent. Put it in google. You can find a physio near you who is trained and ask gp for a referral or pay private.

You need to shut your mouth and only use your nose to breathe. Loads of advice on the website.

I am struggling as no matter what my symtom gp just says it your hyperventilation. Drives me mad. My body aches and I have a temperature yet gp says it only your hyperventilation. It annoying how if you have hyperventilation that is all that can be wrong with you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.