Constant indigestion for over 3 weeks feel dismissed by Dr can anyone help?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I'm 64 female and suffering constant indigestion for just over 3 weeks now. Feels as if I have swallowed a brick which is stuck there, in centre of my chest and epigastrium. Intermittent nausea also. Am taking Omeperazole 20 mgs twice daily, RANITIDINE 150mgs twice daily plus copious amounts of GAVISON ADVANCE. Sleepng on 3 pillows, taking PROBIOTICS nothing is moving it. referred to Gastro Consultant who made me feel like a total hypochondriac. Said unlikely to find anything as recently had a chest CT in relation to my ASTHMA and nothing evident on there and I havent lost weight. Took bloods which am waiting for and requested an ultrasound to rule out gallstones but basically said get on with it. Wake up with it every morning and its there until i go to sleep at night. Am otherwise fit and healthy. Any suggestions please?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ask if you can change from omeprazole to esomeprazole, it works better. It sounds like you may have a hiatus hernia, in which case, like the previous poster said you will need an endoscopy.

• Posted

Thank you I will the Consultant did say if ultrasound negative and I still had symptoms by then he would consider endoscopy but felt it unlikely he would find anything. I thought hiatus hernia but the ct I had in July was reviewed and didnt show that I guess its possible it could happen a few months later though. Hate it when you feel dismissed and unlistened to. Spent £15 this week on Gaviscon cant get it on prescription. Thank you for your replies.

• Posted

nothing worse than being dismissed by a doctor. i would go for a second opinion and request an endescopy.

• Posted

Thank you that sounds sensible, yes you're right feeling dismissed is awful. I was feeling pretty wretched anyway due to the indigestion but then to be made to feel like a time waster. Thank you for replying

• Posted

It can be hiatus hernia. Between the esopahgus and stomach is the esophageal sphincter. This is a circular valve that can open and close IF IT'S IN HEALTHY CONDITION. It's strength can be damage and it's normal function will be altered by DRUGS, tobacco or certain foods like coffee and chocolates because of methylxanthines, spicy foods, alcohol, peppermint, citrus juices and whole milk. If you think you're doing healthy lifestyle. I think you need to stop omeprazole and ranitidine or any form drugs that you're taking right now.

• Posted

I imagine it would have been visible on the chest ct in July if a hiatus hernia , or maybe developed since then. I never drink coffee or citrus juice, whole milk, eat spicy food and only drink 2 or 3 units of alcohol per week my diet is pretty good. I have been advised to carry on with the medications my thinking is if there is an ulcer there (I was on high dose corticosteroids for 2 weeks in July asthma attack which almost hospitalised me) then am on correct medication to heal it. Maybe am wrong thank you for taking trouble to reply.

• Posted

The only way to diagnose a hiatus hernia - which could be causing or contributing to your symptoms - is with an endoscopy or a barium swallow, so you should have one of those. But also - have you been tested for H pylori infection? It can cause all the symptoms you describe. I have struggled with the same symptoms as you and was diagnosed with H pylori last year. After antibiotic treatment for a week, I felt better than I have in years. Unfortunately, I don't think it was completely eradicated, or else it's come back, because the symptoms returned a few months ago and have not gone away. I'm being retested this week, so we'll see - definitely ask your GP for a test, though. Good luck - I know exactly what you're going through and how miserable it can make you, especially when doctors fob you off. I wish you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.