Constant issues after gallbladder removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hoping I can find someone here who might be in the same boat.

I have been having ongoing issues in relation to my gallbladder. I'm a 26 year old girl. My gallbladder was removed in January 2020 after I had been having issues with gallstones for about a year. Following the surgery, I was doing well and back to normal.

However, in July 2020 I started experiencing a sharp pain in my upper right abdomen that radiated to my back. I ended up being referred to A&E by my GP and found out in hospital that I had a gallstone blocking the bile duct between where my gallbladder had been and my liver. I had an infection in my liver as a result. They cleared the gallstone and all was good.

Over the past 6 months of this year I've been experiencing new issues in the same area. This has meant I've had consistent pain in my upper right abdomen, fatigue, and nausea. This new pain is in the exact same area as my gallbladder pain but is more of a dull ache than a sharp pain. I also can't drink more than two drinks (alcohol) without vomiting. I'm aware that that sounds minor but it is concerning to me because I've never been made sick by drinking before unless I've drank a ton. The pain in my abdomen gets worse after eating too so I really don't enjoy eating out anymore because i'm always worried about it.

My GP initially prescribed me Esomeprazole for these new issues but that did not help at all. On a repeat visit this was changed to Lanzomprazole and Buscopan. I've been taking these for 2 months but they haven't helped either. I've also been referred for an ultrasound and gastroscopy so i'm waiting for those.

I know the scans and the scope should shine a bit of light onto what's going on but I'm really at the end of my tether with all of this. I'm in pain all day every day. I'm worried that they won't be able to help or figure out what's going on.

Has anyone experienced anything similar post-gallbladder removal? Did it get better?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had mine removed on 26 July and all was well for several weeks. Since then I have had two gallbladder attacks, yet I don't have a gallbladder. The pain around my right side under my ribs, radiating to my back is exactly the same as it was before the operation, excruciating and makes me vomit. Have a gastroscopy tomorrow.

• Posted

Hi how did you get on with your gastroscopy? Did they find anything?

I got the results of my ultrasound today and they said everything looks normal. My gastroscopy is at the end of next month. I'm feeling very dejected about all of it. I just want answers.

• Posted

Hi Coral

i had my gallbladder removed in March this year. recovered well until having an episode of severe pain in june landed me in a&e. docs said id just done too much. recovered again but would have twinges of pain similar to what i had before (mine was inflammed and was diagnosed as non functioning after a hida scan) but the past few weeks ive had pains getting worse stabbing under my right rib where gallbladder was then round my right side into my back before moving to my left shoulder and side.

i get bad health anxiety and my mind is in overdrive. hearing you and others are in similar positions does help.

i hope you got some answers. i need to get back to the doctor.

• Posted

I am hearing people talk about the pain, WHAT CAN WE DO TO GET RID OF THE PAIN IN THE BACK? Do I need to go the doctor, change my diet? Please help! I really do not want to go into a doctors office or the hospital!

• Posted

hi katherine

i honestly don't know, i spoke to the doctor and have been given omeprazole and pain relief and have to call back if no change. its still sore so i will be calling again. i wish i knew what was going on and how to stop it.

what's your symptoms? you mention a pain in your back?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.