constant migraine

Posted , 8 users are following.

A friend of mine has constant migraine. He visited a neurologist twice and from the scans nothing appears to be problematic however he has constant migraine. Has anyone experienced this? Has anyone solved the problem?

Thank you.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have constant migraine (it's been diagnosed as chronic migraine) after a head injury. Has your friend been concussed, knocked out, bad blow to the head in any way? I'm yet to find a solution but the doctor is trying preventative medication at the moment.
  • Posted

Ps. My CT scan was clear, and the neurologist didn't think there was much point in doing an MRI scan as a clear scan doesn't rule out damage to the communication systems in the brain, scans only show what is visible to see on a scan.
  • Posted

I think he fell a couple of years ago during a game of football and he had a knee operation, but I don't know more...
  • Posted

Hi stell_a

I have had my migraine for 2 years next month.... I have also had numerous MRIs and also a lumbar puncture, all as far as I'm aware are clear.

I am on Topiramate 300mg per day which I found had the most tolerable sideffects but I am reluctant to go up to my max doseage of 400mg per day of 400mg as it has slowed my thought process down quite considerably and noticeably! This helps a little bit, nothing much really if anything.

I get really bad stomach cramps- Topiramate made me dairy intolerant. I cut out milk and used soya milk for 6 months and it helped loads. So I decided that after many years of moral battles that I would become VEGAN. No dairy. No meat.

Best decision I have ever made. Not only did it help with my stomach cramps, but the migraines have eased considerably!!!!!!

• Posted

I was initially put on topiramate but was so nauseus on it and it made my insomnia worse - not good when trying to beat migraine. This was on the introductory dose . I've now been put on amitriptyline, 10mg helped my daily underlying migraine but not any of my triggers. I've since been increased to 25mg but my headaches are back it seems. The may be the increased dose or it could be the sunset yellow that's in these particular pills and not the 10mg... There's lots of other medicines to try, often anti epileptic medicines or blood pressure tablets that can help some. These obviously depends on your blood pressure and will only be available if your blood pressure isn't low like mine!

I'm dairy free also, but that runs in the family. However, dairy is very pro-inflammation and so would possibly aggravate migraine. The other typical culprit is gluten. Some meats are more inflammatory than others. The other thing is sugar as fluctuating blood sugar levels also can aggravate migraine. Eggs are a leading trigger of migraine. Also consider what lighting you live and work under. If fluorescent (strips or energy saving bulbs) as these are major triggers for many people.

• Posted

Dear Louk,

Thanks for your experience, I'll refer it to my friend!

Stella

• Posted

yes i get them all the while had two mri scans got told something got to live with sometimes feel like banging my head against a wall as pain is so bad
    • Posted

Hi Sherl,  NO!  its not something you should live with, I had to nag nag and nag again to get somewhere, now at least they help me,  Keep nagging and try the meds I am taking
    • Posted

thanks hun i will sometimes just feel like talking to a brick wall
  • Posted

Hi,

The fact is migraines come in all different shapes and forms and different people respond to different treatments.

In many cases an MRI shows nothing, so at least you can be glad that the brain is all in working order.  That however doesnt solve your friends problem.  So, he has to work with his neurologist to find the best medicines for him.  I have Cluster headache and Hemiplegic migraines and have to take Sumatriptan, injections and tablets, to get rid of the headaches, and I have Pregabalin, Verapamil and Flunarizine to prevent them, now I am having Botox also.  Topimate made me sucidal I couldnt wait to get off it!

Good luck and hope you friend finds some relief soon

• Posted

Its too early to tell yet, as I have just started the treatment.  You get 2 sessions to start with and if its beneficial then you get more.  For me its to prevent hemiplegic migraine that hospitalises me each time. 
    • Posted

I am lucky in so much I have a great GP and can contact the hospital anytime I like and someone from the team in London will phone me to discuss my issues
    • Posted

Thank you Personal20, and good luck to you as well, I really hope you will feel better very soon. Stella
  • Posted

Hi Stell_a, I have almost constant migraine following a virus / years ago. I have seen a neurologist and ENT consultant and had scans. The symptoms range from severe head pain to tearing feelings, pressure and a constant 'jangling' with confusion and inability to function. I am currently on a high dose of Gabapentin but my go wants to reduce this and start Topirimate - I am scared this will make things worse following a trial a few weeks ago when I felt like I was dying. I think it's pot luck. This forum has confirmed this belief. Good luck and best wishes.
    • Posted

i cant think when i get a bad head i forget where i put things feel like banging head against wall sometimes hun and does the sound sound loader to you
    • Posted

Give Topiramate a chance, I went through about 9 or 10 meds and Topiramate was the one that I can get out of bed with! smile Good luck!
    • Posted

Very sorry to hear this Liz, I wish you to feel better very soon, I can imagine the pain. Take care, Stella

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.