Constant nagging minor chest pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with gerd and the silent reflux with post nasal drip. I have been taking an over the counter- like previsid before I eat. That has pretty much got rid of the post nasal drip. But almost constantly I have a dull discomfort in my chest that goes to my left side in my back. Heaviness in my left shoulder. I do have kidney stones. I had an ultrasound a few months ago and there were 2 stones in the kidney.  I hope that maybe that is what it is. It is very annoying. I also have severe anxiety and could be that too? Has anyone had this with gerd? Kidney stones? Or anxiety?? Scared!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes, constant chest pains and I don't really feel the burning. The chest pains go across my left breast as well  - very uncomfortable and very scary. I also have anxiety but it happens after I eat so I don't know whats going on. Also, zantac and tums don't help me at all. I often wonder if hormones have anything to do with all this.
    • Posted

Ok great. Glad I'm not alone. Hormones may have something to do with it. I am 50. I have hot flashes at night. I am taking progesterone. The chest pain is not bad it just doesn't seem to stop.  Scares me that it's my heart. I do worry a lot though! Thank you
  • Posted

Hi Pamela, I have never had chest pain or kidney stones, but I don't believe they are unusual from what I have read. If your certain the chest pain is related to your acid reflux, then I would figure out when you have the issues. This might help you figure out what the cause may be. If it's at night don't eat for 4 hours before going to bed and prop yourself up at night. Forget the pillows use a good wedge or prop up the bed. Propping up the bed is best. A strict low acid diet will help for GERD symptoms during the day. Eat small and low acid foods ie., oatmeal, low fat milk, oatmeal bread, rice, beans, low acid veges, chicken or turkey. In about 8 weeks you should have your GERD under control. Until then try not to worry. Don't worry about what you can't control. Think positive. 
    • Posted

For what it's worth my doctor says to avoid milk as it creates acid.

This list of foods to avoid also says no to milk.

" Foods that trigger heartburn differ from person to person. Common foods and drinks that can cause heartburn and interrupt sleep include alcohol; caffeinated drinks like colas, coffee, and tea; chocolate and cocoa; peppermint; garlic; onions; milk; fatty, spicy, greasy, or fried foods; and acidic foods like citrus or tomato products. Keep a food diary to help you track which foods may trigger your heartburn"

• Posted

Hello, 

Thank you! I do worry so much. I have been on anti anxiety meds for years. I went off of them a few months ago. My case is so bad though.  I have even thought about going back on them. I just want to feel good and look forward to tomorrow. I feel very down and I know that I have so much to be thankful for! 

• Posted

I only wish you the best! I hope at some point you can be off all meds.

Something worth concidering. Several years ago I remember I signed up for a mountain climbing class with a friend. I just thought it would be interesting to try. I had no pre-conceived notion of what to expect.... I was pretty bad at mountain climbing in fact I might have been the worst person there. However, something unexpected happened after the two day class. I left feeling like nothing in life seemed like a worry or problem and everything seemed doable. There was certainly a chemical reaction going on and it lasted for a year. I am not expecting anyone to sign up for mountain climbing, but maybe sign up or complete a task you would not normally complete. After you complete that conquer another one.....If there is a med that can make me feel like that I want to know about it. 

• Posted

Thanks Derek, everyone's different and I can certainly understand that milk may cause some people issues especially those who are lactose intolerant. Milk for me is a staple. Koufman states if you happen to have to eat a meal that is acidic, drink milk prior to the meal. Milk buffers  stomach acids. I would agree with mostly everything else on that list. There are some teas, which are calming to many people with AR ie.,Chamomile or Ginger.
    • Posted

The theory is that milk initially relieves the acid burning but that the stomach then produces nore acid to digest the milk.
    • Posted

I personally don't believe it. Koufman research does not either. The only way I can see milk being an issue is it is high/full fat. Low fat milk is what I wrote and verified by Koufman.
  • Posted

Sounds like the pain you would classically get with a hiatus hernia. I know as I have lpr reflux and a hiatus hernia! It can make you anxious until you know what it is. Only way of finding out if you have one though, is through an endoscopy. Hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.