Constant Nausea 5 months after iron infusion following hypophosphatemia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm reaching out to see if anyone has suffered anything similar..

September 10th 2021 I had an iron infusion, within 2 days I began to feel horrid.. Nausea, chest pain, heart palpitations, numbness and tingling, dizziness, headaches, and overall malaise. 2weeks later after several ER visits my phosphate levels were found to have dropped severely and I had hypophosphatemia. After supplementation with phosphate and levels beginning to regulate I was told my symptoms would take time to subside.

As time passed some symptoms eased but continued nausea affected eating and I have lost a total of 20kgs and everyday 24/7 I am filled with nausea, fatigue, and feeling very unwell. Unable to even sleep through as the nausea/unwell continually wakes me..

I am losing all hope of recovery as doctors cant find anything to explain why this is continuing?! Endless testing resulting in nothing.

I am practically bed ridden..

Anyone been through anything similar?

Kind regards, Sam

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Sam, did you ever get to the bottom of this. Sorry to hear. This resonates with me. I had two separate infusions totalling 1.5g (FCM). After the 2nd infusion I started feeling a bit odd after a week. A sort of dizzy /light headed feeling. Eventually I got tested for phosphate levels which were very low (0.39).Taken into hospital for phosphate IV and levels are now normal. Unfortunately picked up covid in hospital and still have similar feelings of nausea /dizziness but consulant says very very unlikely due to iron iv..and more likely covid issue. My iron levels went super high after infusion 2. Would be good to know more about your progress etc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.