Constant nausea and no results... Help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 20 year old female, normally very well and fit.

I had not thrown up since I was 12 years old (phobia of vomiting), therefore, had not had a bug or any of the sort in many many years.

In June this year, I was up all night, gagging with severe stomach pain. I took any anti-sickness tablet so that is probably why I did not throw up. However, following this I never got better. I had constant nausea every single day. I went to the doctors after about 2 weeks and she said it could have been food poisoning and because I wasn't sick it would take a while to leave my system.

HOWEVER, 2 months on and I was still nauseous. I was struggling to even leave the house. After multiple visits to the doctors, they had no idea what was going on. My bloods had been done over 5 times and this was all clear. I had a barium swallow and it showed a narrow oesophagus. But that was it. They put me on IBS tablets, meberverine I believe it was called. I started to get slightly better, not fully but I could travel etc now which was more than a few months ago. I went on holiday to Crete at the start of Septemeber, and low and behold on the 3rd day I got very ill again like in June.

Ever since the episode on holiday, I have felt TERRIBLE, every single day. I have slightly more gas than normal, no heart burn or indigestion at all. But I feel SO nauseous every single day. I am not sleeping, not really managing to eat alot, I have lost over a stone in the past 2 months.

I had an endoscopy last week, which surprisingly came back with nothing. I am currently trying to go gluten free and am taking probiotics and peptic peppermint liquid.

Does anybody have any ideas what this could be?! I am a university student and work part-time, however, I am soon to be failing university and loosing my job because of this. I am living a nightmare and don't know where else to turn now.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi flower1101

Can you recall what you ate or drank for lunch or dinner that day/night? Have you been checked for stomach candida? Have you tried taking probiotics tabs and eating prebiotic foods? (google) Have you been checked for food allergies? e.g gluten, dairy, wheat. Try keeping a food diary to see if your nausea correlates with a particular food.....

• Posted

Hi Mary!

I had chicken fajitas for dinner, can't recall what I had for lunch. I don't think I've been checked for stomach candida, how do you get checked for that? I am taking probiotics at the moment, started two days ago!!

I have not been checked for food allergies, but tried going dairy free and didn't see any improvements so ruled that out. Currently trying gluten free, finding it more difficult than dairy though. I kept a food diary when this all started but there is no pattern at all.... Chicken upsets me a lot, as does mince etc. Sometimes pizza upsets me, sometimes I feel better than ever when I eat pizza!! Everything has uspset me once or twice, then doesn't upset me the next time.

I find that if I don't eat every few hours, I feel worse... I normally feel slightly better after eating

• Posted

Hi flower1101

Stomach candida checked by stool test. You do have to make the dairy free, lactose free, gluten and wheat changes fir a length of time not just try it for a little while, you have to give your body time to adjust for about 6 months.

Do you have the same pizzas and chicken all the time or do you have a variety of toppings, flavours , different makes etc., considering sometime they agree with your gut other times not.

Go see your doctor and request a stomach candida test and check the ingredients in the pizzas and however you have chicken such as already cooked and flavoured you get the general idea...

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I have had various stool tests, all clear.

I done lactose free for about 5 months! Going to stick with my gluten free diet at the moment for at least 6 months 😃

I always have the same toppings. Never changes. That's why I'm so confused! It just doesn't make any sense...

Thanks a lot for your help!

• Posted

Hi flower1101

Do you have gluten free pizza. If you are going gluten free, everything has to be gluten free. You can find a gluten free section in well known supermarkets. A special stool test has to be done for stomach candida also urine tests, check with your doctor. Have you had a vitamin and mineral panel done. Low vit D can cause gastro problems....

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Yes I eat everything gluten free. I am actually starting to feel abit better, accidentally ate gluten the other day and felt terrible. So think that confirms it's a gluten intolernace.

I asked the doctor and I have been checked for stomach candida, but not vitamin and mineral panel. However, I take probiotics, multi-vitamins and minerals daily.

Thanks so much for all your help.

• Posted

This happened to my husband. He dealed with constant nausea for nearly a year before they found his gallbladder to be the culprit. If you have a family history of gallbladder problems, it's worth getting checked out via ultra sound or HIDA scan. One thing I thought for sure my husband had prior to diagnosis was gastroparesis. The main symptoms are nausea and vomiting that vary each day. It is diagnosed via gastric emptying test. Before he was diagnosed, he also met with a gastrologist that ran food and allergy to tests to see if something in his diet was causing problems. I would suggest trying to meet with a gastrologist who specializes in stomach problems. Don't let doctors tell you it is IBS or anxiety before running more tests.

• Posted

Hi Emily, how horrible for your husband. It's not nice at all. I don't have a family history of gallbladder problems, however, I haven't been checked for that.

I was reading about gastroparesis a few days ago, it is possible!! Can I just request a gastric emptying test from the doctors?

I am currently seeing a gastrologist, but I wait months for my next appointment with her. My endoscopy was a week ago and I'm not seeing her to discuss futher until end of Feb next year. Could she run food and allergy testing or do I need to see a dietician specifically for that?

The doctors have already tried to fob it off as IBS, I argued my side there. Thanks!

• Posted

This happened to my husband. He dealed with constant nausea for nearly a year before they found his gallbladder to be the culprit. If you have a family history of gallbladder problems, it's worth getting checked out via ultra sound or HIDA scan. One thing I thought for sure my husband had prior to diagnosis was gastroparesis. The main symptoms are nausea and vomiting that vary each day. It is diagnosed via gastric emptying test. Before he was diagnosed, he also met with a gastrologist that ran food and allergy to tests to see if something in his diet was causing problems. I would suggest trying to meet with a gastrologist who specializes in stomach problems. Don't let doctors tell you it is IBS or anxiety before running more tests.

• Posted

Does your pain move about your stomach? Do you experience constipation or diarrhoea? Have you had an ultrasound of your gallbladder and a HIDA scan to check its function? With my IBS, I had shifting abdominal pain that started as daily and constant and then changed to come and go pain. I also had constipation and loose urgent stools with nausea. Keep going back to your doctor ask for further tests and ask about IBS.

• Posted

I wouldn't say it's ever painful, more just constantly feeling like I am going to vomit.

As for the bowel movements, I normally go 1-4 days without any bowel movement at all and then 1-2 days with diarrhoea. Sometimes it's not diarrhoea, but definitely go a few days without anything at all. It is never 'urgent', I could hold on for hours. And never experience abdominal pain. This is why I didn't think it was IBS!

I will keep going back to the doctor 😃 Thanks for your help!

• Posted

It sounds like you have bowel habit change with several days of not going and then diarrhoea. Alternating bowel habits are a hallmark of IBS. Some people do not get much pain but a lot of change of bowel habit. Some get lots of pain but little bowel habit change. Others will get only constipation or only diarrhoea or soft, urgent stools which are still formed. Not everyone experiences IBS exactly in the way it is described in books or websites. Symptoms do vary from patient to patient.

• Posted

hi flower1101! have yoj found relief? ive had constant nausea for one year, had every test imaginable and my gallbladder removed. no relief for me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.