CONSTANT nausea for 2 weeks, abdominal pain, UTI like symptoms (but no pain on urination)

Posted , 7 users are following.

I hope someone can help me, I'm absolutely desperate.

I've been feeling nauseous 24/7 for 2 weeks now. It doesn't stop at all. A week after this, I started getting intermittent pain in my left flank, and in line with with my belly button mostly on the right side there's a dull ache that comes and goes.

I've been to the doctor 3 times. The first gave me omeprazole for anti acid, and a blood test and stool sample which both came back clear.

The second gave me buccastem (anti nausea for migraines) and put it down to stress. The meds didn't work at all, and my fortunate current lifestyle situation means I'm the least stressed I've ever been (aside from now stressing about the nausea obviously!)

During an abdominal examination she pressed down just above my pelvic bone which hurt a lot, and just by my right hip bone which also hurt. Since then I've had UTI like symptoms without pain on urination (peeing lots, bladder never feels empty). The pain I do get is the places where she pushed down.

The third doctor took a urine sample, and found higher than normal protein and bacteria. I've been on trimethoprim (antiobiotic for UTIs) for 4 days now but my symptoms haven't changed - it's a 7 day course.

I'm really stuck. Does anyone have any ideas?

My bowels are totally normal and I'm not getting any pain in my upper abdomen. I've also been eating bland foods but NOTHING helps at all.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Oh and I'm definitely not pregnant - I've done home tests and a test at the doctors lol.

• Posted

Yes, I had this too. The first diagnosis was a UTI infection. I kept telling her, I felt it was something more deep in my lower abdomen/groin. She poked around, barely pressing, and kept saying pain was from UTI. Antibiotics did nothing. I pleaded for ultrasound. I knew it had to be a hernia, twisted intestine. I don't know. Was running a fever. Nausea, fatigue. Turned out to be a strangulated hernia. Was sent to surgery immediately. Still recovering. Keep probing them until you find an answer. Insist on Endoscopy, sigmoidscopy, barium enema test, or capsule test, ultrasound.

• Posted

Thanks Josephine, I'll ask for an ultrasound in that case!! Was your nausea constant too?

• Posted

This is exactly how I feel, and it's the scariest thing about it.

I'm going to call the doctors tomorrow and ask for further tests, hopefully I don't get the stress lady again lol.

Thankyou for sharing this with me, I'll let you know what happens

• Posted

Ask to see another doctor they're having a laugh! Are you exceptionally stressed? That could do it! 

• Posted

Not in the slightest!! Yesterday started a new job paying 3x my previous salary, and before that had a month off voluntarily between jobs (self employed consultant) where I played ps4 and had lots of lie ins and walks! Polar opposite of stressed. But she started telling me to try mindfulness and CBT!! Argh
  • Posted

Thinkbig,

I have offered a quite unorthodox alternative in an earlier post. I'm not a fair representative for your complaint, older and male, but my point was intended to encourage  a different approach.

Seems that as we describe our symptoms to either our doctors or our friends and neighbors, we all desire our ailment to fit within a category or subset of maladies so we can apply some anecdotal remedy. That is well meaning and quite frankly not much different than the physician who must pretend to have some crystal ball.

Here's the truth. You have an event or time when you can first recall feeling something. It's sort of important to reflect on the history of your pain or illness.

Next, you began some sort of treatment or behavioral change to counteract that feeling.

You are now checking off all the potential ailments you don't have, based on tests, images and medications. There is a list and it's not endless, but as you eliminate the potential suspects you may be trying new medications or altering your diet etc. , just don't forget that the pursuit of the cure can create its own side effects.

To sum up my earlier post. I was diagnosed with everything from A to Z and during this past year I've suffered greatly from all sorts of bowel, bladder, urinary stomach, nausea, you name it and I thought I'd die including great pain, dizziness, I could go on. Miserable and debilitating life.

After all tests performed (twice) and realizing I was now suffering from not only my original illness but a host of others, I stopped. 

My doctor and I concluded I had simply suffered a torn muscle in my abdomen. Really no big deal, except for one thing, I didn't know it. All my efforts to treat and diagnose my pain for a year had failed to do anything to address the tear in my muscle which got worse. 

I believe I now have the right diagnosis but all the others seemed right too. If we approach your pain by a process of elimination, we must remember to begin anew and not blend or confuse our treatment plan with a variety of meds or strategies.

Give your body a chance to heal one illness at a time. Every prospective medication has its side effects, just is inevitable.

Keep a good record of your daily routine and effort and pain and treatment and eliminate the suspects one at a time. 

If you can, try and take your diary of events to a good older general practitioner. You are more than a test rat for the numerous imaging tests and once these tests serve to eliminate the suspects, you can treat the illness directly and successfully.

I'm going to defy numerous doctors and get well by treating my torn muscle with rest.

I hope you can discover your core problem and treat that issue. Pain meds often create irregularity so try an alternative and give your body a break.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your thoughtful reply Aubreymae. I've stopped taking the buccastem (it didn't work anyway), but I'm going to finish the antibiotics just in case. I might give the omeprazole another go once I'm off antibiotics, but one of the main side effects is nausea so I'm not convinced!

I'll keep hounding away to try and get some answers though. Luckily I have a high tolerance for pain so haven't needed much pain relief!

• Posted

Finish your course of antibiotics since high levels of protein and bacteria was found in your urine. This may indicate that you have a UTI.  This appears to be your answer.  You will will only know if the bacteria has cleared up when ypu finish your medecine.  Give the antibiotics a chance to work.  You need to be patient and not worry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.