Constant nausea for 5 months, but tests all clear?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Alright so my boyfriend has been having nausea every night since December. It can happen through the day, but mainly happens at night. No abdominal pain or anything.. Just nauseous, ill feeling. 

He went to the doctor in January and got acid reflux medication which did nothing. An endoscopy, scope of his esophagus, and blood tests were done which was clear. 

Then in April he went to the emergency room where they did an abdominal CT scan, and multiple blood tests where they found nothing. Finally he is referred to a gastroenterologist who performs more blood tests and a gastric emptying scan. I was so sure he had gastroparesis.. But the tests just came back saying he doesn't, and that he is not allergic to gluten and other types of food. They said it's all his anxiety/depression, but he has no such history of either. They gave him medication and said to see them back in July. 

I really have a feeling it is not anxiety/depression that is causing this problem. Any tips of other tests that should be done, and possible illnesses/problems that can cause this constant feeling of nausea all the time, please let me know. Sometimes I feel hopeless and that there is nothing more that can be done. sad But I would really like to hope that is not the case.. Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Has he had a HIDA scan to check gallbladder function?  Did he have a bout of food poisoning in December?  Sometimes food poisoning can leave you with chronically sensitive gut.  A food diary will help to uncover food intolerances.  I have an intolerance to extremely fatty foods which causes nausea and vomiting.

Did the endoscopy examine inside his stomach as well as his esophagus?   Were biopsies taken for h pylori? What about gastritis?

• Posted

Oh, can you still have gallbladder problems without abdominal pain? Thanks, I will try a HIDA scan and food diary. And yes, actually he did have food poisoning from something he ate during Christmas. No biopsies were taken, the doctor said he checked it with a blood test. And I thought gastritis was detected with a endoscopy, so I've never thought of gastritis as a possibility ever since the endoscopy. Thanks for the info. 

• Posted

From what I have read, pain is a main symptom of gallbladder problems.  I haven’t heard of people not having pain with it.  However, since everything else has been checked, it may be worth ruling it out.   Gastritis can be detected by an endoscopy. However, there may well be some irritation in the gut causing the nausea that might have been triggered by the food poisoning. Another option would also be a stool test to check for stomach bugs like h pylori.

• Posted

Hi emily5513

Keep a food diary it may be food related. even though gluten etc., not the problem. It could be other foods such as spicey or fatty foods and junk food. Also drinks that contoin caffeine or it may be related to alcohol. Keep a diary because there may be a correlation why the nausea occurs occasionally in daytime but mostly at night. Also, is he taking any other medications?

• Posted

Oh, I see.. Thanks! I will try that then. And no other medication besides whatever the doctor gave him. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.