Constant Pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, I am new to this site and am hoping all you lovely people on here will be able to help me. 

I have had a really bad pain under my ribs since last summer (8 months) plus bad indigestion and constipation. However recently this has become so bad my doctor prescribed cidine. When the constipation was really bad last October, my doctor wrote to the hospital for  an appointment for a Barum Mill.  However I am still waiting and wondered if anyone had any ideas how long you have to wait for this.  I had a friend years ago who was diagnosed with bowel cancer and died within 6 weeks, so therefore I am thinking I have been waiting far too long for my appointment. Can anyone advise?

Best regards

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi terry id get back to your doctor and make sure he/she did actually follow through with sending in the request for the Barium meal, seems a long time to me from October to now and not heard anything. You need to find the cause of whats causing your symptoms. Im actualy feeling very much like you, discomfort under both ribs, indigestion and slight constipation too. feeling so nausiated with it and always belching too. Will see what my kenesiologist says on the 29th of March first. 

Sue 

• Posted

I agree with you and thank you for answering. Good luck on 29th and please let me know how you get on.
  • Posted

You wait for so long for any appointment now, however because of the obvious stress you are under I would. Go back to your doctor and tell him about your friend and why things are so stressful for you! I'm sure he could call the hospital and explain this and maybe they will see you sooner, however in my humble opinion I think it's nothing serious, think how long you have waited if there were anything desperate you would know yourself! Good lick
    • Posted

Hi Trisha, thank you for your reply. I will go back and insist on a chase up with the hospital. My symptoms disappeared for a short while but seemed to come back with avengence. The pain is unbelievable.
  • Posted

hi terry

definitely go back to your gp .that is far too long to wait.

• Posted

Ask your GP if you can be to fast tracked for your appointments and ask for the appointment to be faxed or emailed as well as posted or better still take it yourself . If you have several hospital within your health trust and can manage it say that you will travel to any hospital to have the tests and will accept cancellations at last minute .Ask GP to write this on top of letter and highlight it .On fast track they have to see you within 10 days or thereabouts . Then after 3 days phone the hospital appointment dept . Check they have the letter and explain you will accept cancellations or go to any hospital in the trust ..You need to ring regularly say symptoms are getting worse . Your need to develop a rapport with the appointment people .. make friends and always ask and use their name and thank them profusely .I keep a file of copies of all the test results letters to consultants and tests .I even get CD copies of scans x Rays .. costs about £10 for CD but if you have to go to another consultant doctor you have a copy and things have a habit of getting lost in NHS ..Go back to GP and ask to be fast tracked
    • Posted

Thanks Alison, l think sometimes l amworried about hassling them. Also l ddidn't know you could obtain a copy or CD , so that info is very helpful. Thank you again.

• Posted

You should never feel you are hassling them. It's your body and have the right to be taken care of and have answers. You are your best advocate. You also know better than anyone else that something is wrong. Good luck to you and hope you feel better.
    • Posted

wise words.my views too as having being fobbed off by too many medics 

who dont accept what you tell them and knowing my body know when things arent right.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.