Constant PAIN IN JAW -- SHINGLES?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Jan. 3, 2018. Husband, 93, with history of 2 bouts of shingles, last one a few years ago. Has had vaccine. About a month after 8 rounds of chemo for prostate cancer (seven full months) Joe had a root canal for a painful tooth #22, lower left side of jaw. Jaw pain started after that, Constant for 5 weeks. Root canal is good. About two weeks ago took a round of Medrol (methylpredmisolome) for possible inflammation. Didn't work. Usually takes 400mg Ibuprofen and 500mg Acetaminophen for pain.

The endodontist said that this pain is not normal.  He asked Joe if he has had shingles, so we are wondering if Shingles might be the cause of pain. At first the pain was only on the  left side of midline. Now he feels pain on both sides. No rash, no skin blisters. Just constant pain.

OR could the pain from metastases? We see oncologist tomorrow, but are  intrigued about the possibility of Shingles. How to test for this?

To make problems worse, the oncologist suggests a new procedure for his advanced prostate cancer which would entail a high dose of testosterone plus etoposide, a chemo drug. That would be hard on his system which would be dealing with getting rid of dead cancer cells, if  the procedure works.

Joe is unwilling to embark on this clinical trial therapy while in great pain. And to top it off, I have a bad cold. His immune system is likely shot, and I am hoping that I don't make the situation even worse. It's hard to see those you love suffer!

Any insights will be gratefully received.

Adrienne (aka sierramar)

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It is very likely. I have now had 5 bouts with shingles. The last 2 I only got a very fine rash after I had the pain and I'll feelings. Anyone who gets shingles is at risk for long lasting nerve pain. I have also noticed that 4 bouts have been along my spine/back. The pain though seems to hit various nerves making it hard to know what is going on each time. I truly hope it passes and he gets some relief.

• Posted

Additional Information: On Joe's second visit to the endodontist to report pain, he decided to take no pain meds so he could tell the doctor where it hurt. After the appointment we drove home. Joe was without pain meds for a good 9-12 hours, and was in extreme pain. I noticed that his left check and lower left jaw were both very red. They were very hot to the touch, but the right cheek and right jaw were cool. The pain was clearly on the left side of his face, and did not cross the midline. 

• Posted

How certain is the endodontist that this is NOT from an infection? Have you talked to his dentist? That would be the first thought, but yes, it could be shingles. In theory the pain is on one side, but I had almost no rash, a few tiny pin prick bumps on my back and chest, but I can get pain in range of places on the back. The nerves don't seem to know the rule about one-half only. Also, the jaw is complex, and maybe due to pain on one side, he's clenching or moving his jaw differently to case pain on the other side. I am making a wild guess regarding mets, but my thought would be if it were, it would show up somewhere else, abdomen, lung etc. before going to the jaw area. I'm just being blunt, but only a doctor could tell you that (I worked as a medical secretary for 30 years, so a little knowledge is a dangerous thing).

What a shame, you both have a lot ot deal with right now. Normally you'd think either antibiotics for a possible infection or the anti-virals for shingles would be the way to go. But with his situation, I can see not adding anything else to the mix. But if the pain started 5 weeks ago and it is shingles, the antivirals won't do any good now. BTW, the older vaccine has only limited success in preventing a re-occurrence.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.