Constant Pain - Somebody Help Please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello Everyone!! Iam 36 yrs old and was diagnosed with RA in April 2013 I first went to my PCP (Primary Care Physician) because I was experincing dull aching pain in both of my legs also some discomfort in my left hand, my fingers would occasionally go numb and tingle it felt like my hand had fell asleep. At that point I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel and she told me to get a brace for my arm which I got but only used every once in awhile. She couldnt figure out what was going on with my legs though, I had some labs done and she referred me to a Rheumatologist because my RA factor was a little off. Went to him and he sent me to get a EMG test done on my legs the results came back negative nothing showed up he gave me some gabapentin which did nothing at all. Also I have always had some minor back aches but it started to bother me more in my upper shoulder blade area like a burning annoying pain and both my hands started to bother me. I had some xrays done on my hands and again nothing showed up. I started to think that everything was in my head and that there was nothing wrong with me. I told him about the stiffness my body had in the morning and it usually lasted about 1-2 hrs than slowly went away. He gave me some prednisone to take once a night before bed and before long I was waking up with less and less stiffness some how he came to the conculsion I had RA. I never got a chance to get put on any meds because I got laid off from my job so no longer had insurance. I cant afford insurance on my own but my new job should be offering it soon. The only thing that I have been taking is pain medications and I was only able to get those because I was in a car accident and had to go to pain management but they wouldnt give me anything for my RA because the car insurance would not cover that diagnosis. I dont want to continue to take narcotics because I dont want to become dependent and addicted to them. So after this long drawn out story lol my question is; is there anything natural i can do to help with the pain? I also think my diagnosis of RA might be wrong and I actually may have fibromyalgia or both who knows. Im looking forward to the day I can go back to the Dr and get properly treated. Thank you in advance!! sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Phillygurl.  I actually think the diagnosis of RA for you is correct.  Its very common for initial stage testing of RA to come back with negative on markers.  I'm still showing as negative on markers but have been on hydroxychloroquine and naproxen for RA for about 10 weeks now and boy has it turned my life around for the better! I am able to move without pain...only my fingers and knuckles play up if I overdo things.  You can go down the natural route but RA is, in my mind, too strong pain wise when it flares up.  Diet can alleviate sometimes but once you've got it, the best way I have dealt with it is to accept the diagnosis and take the drugs!!  I have my life back!!  (age 51)
    • Posted

Melanie: Thank you so much for resonding to my post. I am willing to take medications for my RA and I will it's just at this present moment I can't afford to I dont have insurance right now and I know these medications can be very expensive. I will have to tough it out for now until I am able to get health insurance.
    • Posted

That must be difficult! I guess you are USA? Here in UK at least we have nHS, at least for the time being. I don't know what I would do either if I had to pay a lot, I cant afford my mortgage now i am off sick x
  • Posted

I am sorry you are suffering so much too, your story is very similar to mine but my worst pain is hips and shoulders. I cant hold anything without terrible pain. What is an EMG test? My legs have been aching a lot lately too, last night it was constant pain all down the bottom of my left leg, right through the night, no painkillers work and I have not yet been prescribed RA meds. I was given prednisolone twice and felt a lot better for it, but only for about ten days each time as doc didnt want to give me them really. I feel so exhausted now with all the trying to find natural pain relief but i do find relaxing in a reasonably hot bath for a while helps a little x
    • Posted

An electromyogram (EMG) measures the electrical activity of muscles at rest and during contraction. Nerve conduction studies measure how well and how fast the nerves can send electrical signals.

Nerves control the muscles in the body with electrical signals called impulses. These impulses make the muscles react in specific ways. Nerve and muscle problems cause the muscles to react in abnormal ways. If you have leg pain or numbness, you may have these tests to find out how much your nerves are being affected. These tests check how well your spinal nerves and the nerves in your arms and legs are working.

This test is a little painful they put electrodes on your body than stick needles in them that zap some sort of electric pulse it very uncomforable. Yes I am in the good ole USA lol, we have no country wide health care system, Obama started some program with insurance companies to help people get insurance but i still can't afford it, monthly it's not too bad but with some plans you have to meet a certain amount to have everything 100% covered so I would basically be paying for all of my dr's visits and medications out of my pocket. It's ashame that the majority of other countries have socialized health care and the US can't seem to jump on board.

• Posted

That is a shame! You would think that USA would have something better in place by now.

i don't know why I have not heardof that nerve test. Al they do here is knock your knees etc for reflexes.

i hope you manage to get some help soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.