Constant palpitations

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 50 year old female. I've had palpitations for over 20 years. I was on antenalol for several years but came off it about 4 months ago as my palpitations had eased. 2 wks ago they came back worse than ever! Constant big thumps. Worse in the evening when I am sat relaxing. Im now taking propanolol 40mg once a day but they havnt helped. I wake up with them in a morning. I've had bloods and ECG all normal apart from my hormones due to menopause. I'm so worried is this common to have them constantly for over 2 weeks? I'm seeing a cardiologist on Friday.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had those with the menopause as well, and they usually go away post menopause,

because they are related to fluctuating levels of estrogen.  But if you've had them for 

20 years, I'm not so sure they are hormone related.  I seriously doubt you've been going through the menopause for that long.  It's a good thing that you're seeing a cardiologist, he'll be better able to tease out the reason for these irregular rythyms 

you've having.  Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you. This recent episode is a lot worse than I have ever had before. I'm having them all day and night. A lot of thumps and flutters. Fingers crossed I get some answers on friday. We are meant to be going to Portugal in 3 weeks. Don't want to be going away whilst it's like this. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.