Constant palpitations (feeling heartbeat)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Few months ago I was woken up in the middle of the night with my heart slightly faster.  Since then, I can always feel my heartbeat, even when resting or relaxed (55bpm).  Holt monitor showed I am having pvc's but under 1%, not very bothersome.  My sleeping now, is not very good.  Recently I have had an issue when I am trying to fall asleep, it's as thought my right arm has a slight throb in line with my heart rate causing me to move it (turnover) both arms the same sensation.

Recently had a echo done and no issues came up.  I find it hard to believe that these symptoms are not caused by anything.  Not to mention I have short and extremely mild headaches, prior I never experienced any sort of headache.

Has anyone experienced constant palpitations and found the issue?  

Thanks!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Perhaps it is caused by certain foods and drinks?  I eliminated caffeinated beverages, alcohol and I limited my sugar intake.  Also important to stay hydrated and get some electrolytes.  I like drinking Smartwater, and coconut water mixed with regular water.

• Posted

I have tried many different food options and I don't see a correlation.  Also a fan of smartwater and always have Gatorade on hand.  Even attempted different breathing techniques, nothing has helped.

• Posted

There are a lot of things that can trigger palpitations like stress, anxiety or panic attacks, alcohol or coffeine, nicotine, medicatios or fever. Avoiding caffeine, alcohol and quitting smoking can help.Doctors would normally prescribe oral medications such as beta-blockers and calcium channel blockers to slow down heart rates in arrhythmias.For supraventricular tachycardia and atrial fibrillation arrhythmias, catheter ablation – a non-surgical procedure using radiofrequency energy – is a possible cure. Heart valve disorders will require surgery. 

I have experienced it only two times. 

• Posted

Appreciate the reply, unfortunately I have never smoked, drank alcohol or a stressful person.  Never had a big intake of daily caffeine, when this started, I dropped the occasional Coke.

Don't have any arrhythmia, 14 day monitor showed I am mostly in Sinus.  Had two instances where the p-wave dipped downward but it has not happened recently.  Had a few runs of double or triple sve events but again not recently.

Echo showed normal heart size and no leaking valves.  

Today went for a walk / uphill and my heart was beating out of my chest, calmed down when finished.  Went to get some food with a family member and after during the meal, intensity increased some.  I am not stressed, having a normal conversation and boom.  This tends to happen out of the blue,  as I type the intensity is less than 10 minutes ago.

Tried a low dosage of beta blockers and the only thing it did was lower my bpm  and slightly decrease the resting intensity.  Cardiologist agreed that it's best to not take the beta blockers.

Of course the worst is when I am relaxing as the beats can make it uncomfortable.  I dunno, cardiologist said to not worry but also cannot explain the constant palpitations.  Can count my beats by watching my shirt or movement in stomach.

I had my doctor check thyroid levels, potassium, etc.  The mystery continues, to me it seems the intense beats mean the heart is working harder.  

• Posted

I've been experiencing constant palpitations and found out it was because of mold in my house. Do you have other symptoms like headaches, shortness of breath, gut issues? For me it started exactly like you, I was woken up in the middle of the night with tachycardia, and I could feel my heart pounding in my chest all the time.

• Posted

I do have brief, what I call tension in the forehead area.  It will be a slight pain for  some seconds and gone.  Can't find a pattern to why it happens (prior I never had a headache).

Don't have any shortness of breath or any real gut discomfort.

Recently I have discovered that toward the evening, if I raise my hand high, can feel pulse or sensation in my fingertips.  

Worst is when I am relaxing in bed as I can feel every beat.  Even my cell phone has the beat shake, don't have to watch my stomach.  Sometimes it's stronger (out of the blue), the best way I can describe it is it's uncomfortable.

I don't know where mold would come from, recently painted unit and tile in bathroom (no mold was present).  

• Posted

One problem with mold is that the symptoms can greatly vary depending on each person, and depending on the quantity one is exposed to. But palpitations are a classic symptom. I had headaches, and sometimes felt like a pressure ("tension"?) on my brain. Also, another problem with mold is that it can be hidden in the walls and/or the floor. It took me a very long time to figure out it was mold because no mold was visible. There was a water leak in my house, leaking right into the floor and I had no idea it created a breeding ground for mold. Maybe the house/building where you live has a broken pipe, or damaged roof or any crack where water can seep in. It is difficult to know if there is mold or not, but you can find affordable mold test kits you can order online. Personally that is what I would do, so I would know for certain (though no test is 100% accurate...).

• Posted

Great information, thanks!  I will certainly get the mold test kit, am moving to a new build in 3 months.  When you did the remediation, did your symptoms just go away?  It's crazy because first time it lasted half a day and went away.  Two weeks later same issue and has been constant.

• Posted

You're welcome smile You can find a ton of information on the Internet about mold, it is crazy what it can do to your body-and I can speak from experience. Unfortunately doctors do not know anything about it. If you move out in 3 months, I would definitely test for mold because if it is positive, you'll have to get rid of most of your belongings as it means they are contaminated as well, and will most likely keep you sick if you keep them.

As for me, I did not remediate my house as I knew it was a hopeless case, the entire floor and possibly even the walls were infested. I moved somewhere else, threw away all of my belongings except some of my clothes.

It seems I was exposed to massive amounts of mold as I had so many symptoms-just ridiculous. It took me two weeks before my heart stopped giving me weird sensations like it was leaking and being squeezed, but the tachycardia continued. Now it's been a month, and the tachycardia still persists although not as bad as before, and I no longer feels my heart pounding in my chest. My blood pressure is still quite low. Recovering from mold is a slow process unfortunately.

Interesting because when my tachycardia started for the first time, it went away during the day, and came back something like 3 days after and then became constant. This is really similar!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.