Constant phlegms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last June I got sick was diagnosed with bronchitis but it left with phlegms.   The chest x-ray was negative.  I went to 5 different doctors and not one could tell me the same diagnosis and why I my phlegms wouldn’t stop.  Basically I feel like making bubbles and have continued phlegms.   I tend to sweat easily and I remember when I got sick I was constantly sweating and changing clothes.  I went to pulmonary doctor and he said it was lymphocytic bronchitis and just prescribed anxiety medication because at the time I was hyperventilating.  I have noticed over the last five years I can’t drink cold drinks because it will give me phlegms and give me throat irritation.  I have looked online and it seems some people have a similar problem for years with no solution.  What should I do or do you have any suggestions to stop this chronic phlegms? The phlegms get worse when I eat spicy foods.  If I only know what is causing this or what I have then it would be easier to cure this.  Any help will be appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I get that sand problem I can't drink cold water or hot drinks makes my throat and Gullet feel irritating and sore burning feeling it's inflamed do you get acid ? Because that's the problem with me 

• Posted

not really.  I noticed I get acid when I eat greasy pizza so I stopped eating greasy foods.  My mom suffers from acid though.
  • Posted

I'm no expert, but this sounds like classic LPR to me.  I read Kaufman's book and she pretty much describes what you're saying.  Basically, one has reflux while they're sleeping or in other ways they don't notice, and the pepsin from the stomach gets embedded in the cells in the throat causing irritation.  That leads to increased mucus production and eventually to a cough that won't go away.  Her prescription is a very low-acid diet (no ketchup, hot sauce, spicy food, mustard, wine, alcohol, etc.) for a couple weeks until the cough gets a bit better, then a diet that helps identify food triggers and get the reflux under control.  Her diet helped rid me of my cough, although I'm now on a different diet that I think is working better for my reflux.  Good luck!  I'm not a doctor, so I definitely can't say if this is what's happening with you, of course...

• Posted

Thanks for the information.  Although I don't have a cough anymore the phlegms are still there.  some days are better than others and diet is related so I gave up spicy foods.  I do notice that when I'm distracted I don't seem to get them as much so I wonder if it is habit forming or due to maybe anxiety.  I did an online test for LPR and I got a RSI value of 10 which indicates medium range.  One of the doctor's had mention GERD but I didn't agree with him at the time.  I will do more research.  Again thanks.

• Posted

Make a ginger paste. Add a teaspoon of honey to it so that it's not too spicy. It drys up the phlegm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.