Constant physical anxiety symptoms - please help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm 33 and female and have health anxiety. I have had constant physical symptoms since about March/April time which includes:

• a tremor/shakey feeling in my back/chest area and arms hard to explain but can feel like a throbbing sensation
  • weak shakey muscles, like when you plank and your body shakes, I get that when I excersice like I've got no strength
  • ringing in ears
  • insomnia

I've also had symptoms that come and go maybe a couple of times a week not daily:

• headaches
  • muscle twitches
  • fatigue and brain fog
  • joint pain and muscle aches and pains
  • tingling feeling in legs
  • itchy legs (happened three times over the last few months but I end up itching until I'm bruised)

My doctor prescribed me propranolol for the physical symptoms of anxiety and said they would work within an hour. I took them for 5 days but didn't a difference so stopped taking them.

I've had general blood tests and for vitamin deficiencies, arthritis blood test, 24 hour heart monitor - all normal.

For the past 5 months I have googled and researched my symptoms non stop, spending hours each day on the internet and convincing myself I have a debilitating or incurable illness.

Does anyone have a similar experience with constant physical symptoms and how they got rid of them?

How do you manage health anxiety? (I'm guessing no googling, easier said than done, I'm already three hours deep today, its exhausting!)

Does anyone have any advice regarding beta-blockers and should I have stuck with them longer? Or would an SSRI be a better route?

Any help or support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

yes, I can definitely relate to what you said. I’ve had anxiety for a very long time, and I’ve had every sensation you can think of. One thing to keep in mind is that whatever you think in your mind, whether it’s negative or positive, it will expand! So, when you are googling this, you are telling your brain that you have something terrible. The brain responds and the nervous system will cause all of those sensations to happen. I’ve done this many times over and over and finally learned. so those three hours you spent googling

can most likely have a negative affect, and make it longer to recover and feel better. Googling does no good and what you find most likely will not pertain to you. So for me, it was a waste of time.

so instead of doing that, do things that are more positive. Any type of exercise even if it’s just walking, will help you feel better. Stay away from caffeine and sugar. Which aggravate anxiety.

take care of your health. Stay hydrated and eat good foods.

There are lots of great meditations on YouTube for anxiety to relax your mind.

Many medication’s for anxiety take 4 to 6 weeks to really see an affect. Sometimes it’s sooner. So you have to give it some time.

The headaches, the muscle aches, brain, fog, muscle, twitches, tingling, etc. all very common with stress and anxiety. I’ve had all of them and plenty more. It’s not so much that the sensations are a problem, the problem is unmanaged stress, and anxiety that causes the sensations. Sometimes talking with a counselor can really help and show you how to manage it better. You can even do that virtually which is what I do.

I hope this helps a little bit. Feel free to private message me anytime. Just remember that the sensations you get are not harmful. Take care.

• Posted

First let me say im sorry your suffering its horrible I've been suffering 2 years straight everyday with horrible head symptoms the only time I get a break is when im sleeping I have no diagnosis so really been horrible im scared everyday of having something horrible happening to me. I wish you best of luck in finding healing.

• Edited

Hey, I'm a 17, Female and I have been experiencing literally all of the symptoms you put here (especially the legs for some reason omg). The shaky muscles thing and tremors in addition to a worseing brain fog have been the most recent addition to my already exasperatingly long list of symptoms. I was actually supposed to go to bed three hours ago to catch an early morning flight, but I have been awake panicking and afraid I have cerebral degeneration and early onset dementia instead. It feels crazy to even right that down; I am young and healthy -other than mild POTs that I got from covid 😦 and ADHD- however, I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder when I was around 10. My anxiety was super mild for years, I didn't even need therapy for a while, until, of course, I got COVID at the end of my Freshman year of highschool and then got POTs. (for reference, POTs is a mild disregulation of bloodflow that basically just means I get dizzy when I stand up and climbing flights of stairs is tough. ALSO: fairly common in teenage girls, apparently).

ANYWAY, FEEL FREE TO SKIP TO HERE, because that was ALL just a long-winded way of saying that when I went on this forum in an effort to avert an anxiety attack (a dull yet incessant pain in my shoulder wouldn't let me go to sleep), your post was the first to really make me realize that I'm probably (definitely) not going to die of some horrible disease (no matter WHAT excuses I make up to justify my former belief). Well, that's kinda a lie, I am still a bit anxious, but I honestly feel relieved to know that at least a few people out there know how crappy this is. I think I'll read and then try to go to sleep now.

Thank you so much for posting this, I'm really glad this forum exists and I'm glad neither you nor I are alone in this.

I'm still working thru my anxiety (obviously), BUT I still wanted to answer your original prompt and provide a few tips that seem to calm me down when my anxiety is like a 7/10 or below.

1. YOU ALREADY KNOW: CLOSE GOOGLE. DO NOT SEARCH. PLEASE GOD DO NOT.
    2. Honestly, thinking about how you have no other past indicators of health problems is more helpful than you'd think.
    3. I bet most people with health anxiety ALSO have a penchant for research and (at least some) appreciation for science and math. SO, what I say to myself as a teenager is "I have twice as high a chance of getting into Harvard, and Columbia, and Princeton, as I do of having _xyz traumatic disease" Feel free to replace those colleges with any institutions of your choice.
    4. REACH OUT TO OTHER ANXIOUS PEOPLE!!! EVEN IF IT IS VIRTUALLY!! My best friend is in college right now and she always helps me out with symptom management, even if it's just being like "no you do not have cancer, trust me, it is okay"

Anyways, thats all I got for you. Thank you again. I sincerely hope you are doing better, and if you aren't, just know you arent alone, and if this many people have your symptoms and are all okay, chances are, so are you 😃

• Posted

Hi, thank you so much for your message and kind words. I'm sorry to hear that you're suffering from the same symptoms but I'm glad I posted on this forum to explain mine so others can relate and be reassured its anxiety and not an incurable illness.

My anxiety and physical symptoms were continuous for around 6-8 months and it was honestly the lowest point of my life. I managed to get a hold of mine slowly and I feel so much better compared to last year.

I hope everyone on the forum gets the same outcome, there is light at the end of the tunnel I promise, even if you can't see it now ❤

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.