Constant Right abdominal Pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello All ,

I have had colonoscopy last week . 2 days after procedure I started having pain in right abdominal area below ribs and near naval area.

Pain is kind of dull but it is constant since last week. I went to ER and GP and they performed CAT Scan , X ray and blood work and all reports are normal and do not show anything remarkable. So far my BM are good but root cause for pain is really not figured out

Any help , suggestion or experience is appreciated

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Maybe you are having a reaction to the colonoscopy which can cause irritation. This may be a likely cause since the pain started two days after the procedure. Has your doctor mentioned this possibility? Try painkillers and give it another week to see if it settles down, if your pain continues, see your doctor again. I react to all medical procedures no matter what kind they are.

• Posted

yes i agree. i have put off colonoscopy as i react so badly to all tests i am trying to manage without. the outcome would i suppose only be medication which i wont want to take, so status quo until i feel too ill and have to be scoped

• Posted

Medication is the best solution because there are mild antispasmodics such as Buscopan and also standard painkillers that are gentler on the stomach. If you don't have anything else other than IBS, nothing will show on the colonoscopy. Unless you have red flag symptoms, your doctor will not offer a colonoscopy. Since, you react to medications and are anxious, it would be better avoiding a colonoscopy altogether. The sedation they give is toxic.

• Posted

Probably nothing more than trapped gas. Keep some ant-gas tablets on hand.

• Posted

i had a conoloscopy done a couple of weeks back. these are used as a diagnostic tool, and it is also a good way to see changes which may develop in the future if not flagged / treated. eg i had a few polyps removed. i will have another conoloscopy in 5 yrs time. although I found the 3 day diet challenging, and also the clear out meds caused in increased pain, I would definately have the test if offered.

i have quite a bit of pain in my colon in anycase , so afterwards i took buscopan regularly, which definately helped the spasms, which i was told is normal after conoloscopy. i used paracetomol for pain relief, and it all settled down after about a week. i would also suggest eating little and often, rather than big meals, as digestion was tricky for a while.

pepermint tea and antacids are good too. obviously if symptons deteriorate, you should go to gp, but it may be just everything churned up post procedure.

• Posted

thank you for your response. I see pain is getting little better as time is moving ahead.

• Posted

Appendicitis is one of the most common causes of pain in the lower right abdomen. Some times, Indigestion also causes right abdominal pain. When your food is not fully digested, these undigested foods accumulate gas in the intestines, causing lower right abdomen.

• Posted

Thank you rosie. Had MRI last night and it came up with unremarkable changes. I think Colonoscope might have bruised something from inside

• Posted

Some doctors can be very rough when doing a colonoscopy.

• Posted

same kind of problem I've also faced. If you got any remedies, informed me. Thanks in advance.

• Posted

they just gave me pain killers for a week. Now it is pretty much stable but mild pain is still there. What exactly you are facing

• Posted

what is the Report of colonoscopy?

• Posted

It is normal. No polyps detected neither removed. 1 internal hemorrhoid

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.