Constant runny stools

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve been on sertrine for over 7 months with great results to help my anxiety!

I did have side effects like a lot of you at the start and even runny stools which all got better with time..

However the last 3 months I’ve had constant runny stools up to 6 times a day and also lower back pains.

Any one been through this?

I’m seeing my doctor tomorrow se what he says. But I’ve read that some people get crohns through stertraine 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Trish

I look Sertraline last year and didn’t have a problem with my stools. I went back on it in Early June and have had diarrhoea for the past 4 weeks. The stools are light coloured. I saw a gastroenterologist who thought I had a bacterial brain infection. I was prescribed pills last week but still have diarrhoea. I am now beginning to suspect the Sertraline has messed up my gut. 

I also have tremor. 

Lynn 

• Posted

Hi Lynn 

It’s a horrible situation if it is caused by sertraline because Its really helped me out.

What made them say it was a brain infection? How did they test you?

I had a benign brain tumour removed 15 months ago and that was the icing on the cake as for my anxiety it just was the worst experience I’ve been through..

I’ve read that a lot of people get problems like cromhes due to sertraline

What’s your next plan?

• Posted

Hi Trish!

I follow this site just to watch for people who have experienced this side effect. My father was on this medication and experienced the same runny stools.  Doctors did not connect the meds with diarrhea, so it went on for months.  Someone on this site helped me understand the source of the problem, so I try to pay it forward.  Yes, this is a real side effect you are experiencing.  I'm so happy you have an appointment with your doctor tomorrow.  My father's diarrhea continued for three months before they finally took him off of the medication.  This does not appear to be a common side effect.  For some people, it goes away after a short time, but it did not for my father.  Wishing you the very best!

• Posted

Thanks yanna

I wonder why this is, I have been doing reading up and there have been a number of people experiencing this.

The last 3 months its been non stop 

I’ll probably to a colanoscopy to rule anything bad out fingers crossed because it’s really stressing me out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.