Constant sharp pain In both my lungs and shoulders

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 1 month post diagnosis with blood clots in both my lungs..  it's crazy how it all started for me.. for 1 I have really large breast so I always blame that on my higher back pain also I have a 22 lb 5 month old baby.. so it was nothing for me to blame carrying him for sharp pains.. I woke up one morning and I felt like I twisted my back really bad.. so I went ahead and went to my doctor where they said I had a pulled muscle. A month later I woke up like that again this time I couldn't take a deep breath. After going to the er my blood levels were 2800 and Ct scan showed the clots. I go wensday for my 1 month check up.. it's not that I'm having problems breathing. It's the constant pain in my lungs. It feels like someone is just holding a knife in my lungs. It won't go away. Now the top of my shoulders hurt so bad I can't even lift my arms up to much. My neck feels like I slept with my head twisted completely around.. really sore.  A family friend doctor I know described a blood clot in your lung as the devils grip.. worst pain I've ever had... wondering if anyone else feels like this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I didn't feel the "text book" PE pains apart from the breathlessness before I was diagnosed with multiple clots in lungs, however, I am experiencing some of those symptoms now, 3-4 months after diagnosis. I have read on here in this forum, as I am new  to the pulmonary embolisms, A lot of people have described their painful symptoms exactly like yours if not similar.

• Posted

Similar experience, mine started with sudden breathlessness that wouldn't go away, then over the course of 6 days I experienced Sharp pain when breathing resulting in me only taking very short breaths, felt my lung was trying to pop out through my shoulder. Couldn't stand anything touching my skin either and couldn't fly lie down.  Woke up one night and felt like I had a burning knife sticking right into my right lung and I couldn't get my breath, unprovoked PE was the diagnosis.  Took months for the full symptoms to recede but they did and so did the anxiety about death, but that took longer and I did get counselling xx

take it day by day and only do what you feel like or necessary for you and baby, encourage others to pick up the slack x

• Posted

Hi,

Yes the pain is horrendous, I'm 4 months post PE,

and if anything my pain is worst,

Your friend describes it well as it does feel like someone is gripping or squeezing your lungs so tight.

I had my follow up ct scans yesterday and I'm hoping they will shine some light on why I'm still getting the pain and however much morphine I take, it only just takes the edge off and I'm scared of becoming addicted to them too.

You are not alone hun,

I hope you feel better soon.

This group is really good for support and answers,

I'm new to the group and I have found more support here than anywhere else, as here the people understand what we are feeling as they have been there too or are going through it now as well.

Baby steps, one day at a time is how I'm trying to deal with this,

Warmest wishes 

Liz 🌺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.