Constant shoulder pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have been suffering over 12 years now with constant shoulder pain. i slipped and fell over 12 years ago. i had pain in around the back of my shoudler i saw my gp who said it was muscular and to keep using my arm or it would sieze up. it really hurt i used to sit with hot water bottle on it and cry. i saw a diff gp who said it was muscular and to keep using my arm. this went on for months, i saw a third doctor for another opinion who said they agreed with the other two doctors that my pain was muscular! FIVE MONTHS LATER i couldnt stand the pain and went to hospital emergency dept they took an xray and showed me the xray and told me i had FRACTURED MY CLAVICAL (colorbone)!!!! i then went back to my gp wearing a sling who said he was sorry he didnt examine me properly when i first saw him with this pain! i was prescribed painkillers and referred to physio! when i saw the phsyio they told me it wasnt broken???? they hadnt even seen my xray though!!!! at my second appointment i was told they couldbt work on my shoulder because it was broken??? they referred me to acupuncture which a actually took the pain away!! BUT after a couple weeks the pain came back again! i was referrd to phsyio again and had to do exercises BUT nothing helped because the exercises were too painful to even do!!! i have been stuck with pain now for over 12 years! i cannot put my arm above my head, behind my back, move my arm outwards or even turn my hand palm up!???? it takes ages to get dressed and i get out of breath showering because it exerts me takes all my energy just to do such a simple thing!!! it even hurts in the bone in my elbow (the part where you would get blood taken) that small bone there hurts too!! WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS PAIN??? if one doctor at hospital tells you your colorbone is broken yet all others tell you it its not broken BUT the doctor who had my xray to look at TOLD me it was BROKEN???? who do i believe and how do i get OUT OF THIS PAIN!!???????

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

you may have a torn rotator cuff. Alot of the symptoms youre describing lead me to believe it may be torn. You didnt mention an MRI being done. I am a trauma nurse and am currently post op from rotator cuff surgery myself. You need to see an orthopedic surgeon one that specializes in shoulders and request an MRI. I Sympathize with your pain. Sorry youve had such a run around. Enough is enough. Get to that surgeon n get that MRI. Keep me informed. Read up on rotator cuff tears. You may have nerve impingement as well with it. Ive gone through this twice. Both shoulders. Pain is horriffic but after surgery and healing (takes about a year, sorry) itll be good. The shoulder is the one joint that goes in all directions. Its a long recovery. Mine happened from heavy patient lifting all these years and it kept getting worse. Pain is worse when lifting my arm over my head like reaching up especially.

• Posted

thank u for ur reply. no ive not had an mri no doctor would send me for one!!!! they not interested in it!!! but ive recently moved area and just registered with a new GP so i am waiting for an appointment to talk to them about it, of course they wont have my medical records yet and they could take months to get them. i do know that their policy is that u refer yourself to physio they WONT do a referral!!!

i also thought myself about my rotary cuff!! the physios ive seen in the past have said that its a muscle in the rotary cuff that gets tight and stops movement?? i will have to ask this new Gp if i can get an mri but i doubt it!!!! i cant even lay on my arm in bed because it hurts.

thank you for your advice.

much appreciated

• Posted

yep, sounds like rotator cuff. Google it and educate yourself. When you see the primary ask to be referred to an orthopedic surgeon. Look the MD up and read about him as well. Dont take no for an answer. Insist on that referral. May i ask what state youre in?

• Posted

yes it does sound like rotary cuff dont it!! i will ask my GP when i get an appointment. trouble is being a new patient and they dont have my medical records its a nightmare!

im in is Northern Ireland!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.