Constant stiff calf muscle in right leg

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this...

I'm a 36 year old man, in reasonable shape, 6ft 1 and I have a fairly sedentary office job although I walk 2 miles a day to the station and back.

For the last 6-9 months I have been experiencing pain in my right calf muscle. I feels really tight, like the begonning of a cramp, and is worse if i have been resting or sitting and then set off walking. It eases after 10 mins or so normally although sometimes persists. It isn't debilitating pain, probably akin to a lightly pulled muscle or like really sore muscles after am work out. But it is just always there so am wondering if it is soemthing that will ever go.

I go to the gym a couple of times a week and use the rowing machine but I don't do any running or anything else that would be aggravating it. I maybe need to stretch it more and it's just a sign of getting old but it just seems odd that it is in one leg only. I thought it may be to do with wearing formal leather shoes when i have always previously been in casual shoes and trainers (changed job last year)?

Anyone with any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I will go to my GP but from experience with my GP he will just say to take ibruprofen and rest it so it would be good to take some ideas to him as he isn't exactly dynamic in his thinking.

Many thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi beej198071, recurring muscle cramps can happen due to a deficiency of the mineral Magnesium (Mg).

Mg is easily absorbed through the skin. You could get some Mg oil (a saturated solution of Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate also known as Zechstein Mg flakes) and apply it to your calves and legs.

You can also dissolve 3-4 cups of Zechstein Mg flakes or alternatively Epsom salt (Mg Sulfate) into a warm bath and soak for half an hour. 

Btw, it is very easy to make Mg oil. Just pour enough Mg flakes into a cup with water until some undissolved flakes remain. When applied to the skin the obtained solution feels oily (a bit like the water of the dead sea). 

If it helps you could write a feedback by replying to your own post. It would help others with the same problem. 

• Posted

when I have problems like yours I take them to my physical therapist, they are usually pretty good at dealing with these kind of problems.
  • Posted

Muscle stiffness still existing?

Did you ever check up for MS?

It is a rare and underestimated symptom. I had similar experience. It took 8 months, after magnesium supplement, capsaicin patches, medicine, physician therapy, to find out the appropriate doctor and verify MS with mri and scf analysis.

• Posted

Today I have read an article which is inversion table related.

In their article they have mentioned that If I use inversion table then Muscle pain be removed. Is it possible?

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.