Constant stomach ache and IBS symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all this is my first post so sorry if I ramble... I am 41 years old and for the past week or so I have had a constant stomach ache and I mean constant sad I ha ea hot water bottle strapped to me and taken buscopan neither are working, I was diagnosed with IBS over 20 years ago and on and off have taken Colorado, peppermint oil, buscopan etc, I have been under an awful lot of stress lately so wondering if this has caused a flare up I look 6 months pregnant easily and constantly burping and blowing off! I have loose stools that are mucussy sometimes but not watery diarrhoea, I was diagnosed when I was 19/20 and I think it was based purely on my age the symptoms feel the same but I've had no tests as such to confirm? The thought of a colonoscopy terrifies me so much are u knocked out to have it done becuase I would need to be!! What tests has everyone had or have some of you like me been diagnosed with IBS with no tests? Also any tips on how to get rid of this cramping it's a dull ache and driving me insane sad I have a docs appt on 12th December not sure what to say really rolleyes thanks for reading x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

This sounds like a stress related flare up.  No tests will confirm IBS.  They will only rule out other causes.  Don’t worry at all about this  Your symptoms are IBS.  IBS does not go away.  It can at best go into remission but it can come back even after many years. Stress triggers IBS.  Your doctor is likely to confirm this.  Try Nurofen with Buscopan; this combination works for me. Take Imodium for diarrhoea or losse stools or codeine.

My ultrasound, stool tests, celiac and urine tests were all negative.  Try distraction techniques and this will help you.

• Posted

Thanks for replying Pippa, it's just come out of the blue and lasting for a long time but I am under an awful lot of stress so thank you for helping 

• Posted

Forgot to add that if your current symptoms feel the same as when you were younger, this is IBS.
  • Posted

I hope the doctor is a Gastroenterologist and one that specializes in IBS. I take Librax for the stomach ache and abominable pain when i am in IBS mode.It can make you constipated but you just have to modify your dose.  Advil also helps a lot when it's abdominal pain.  A past doctor told me to use a heating pad also.  I also get nauseated a lot, especially in the morning when I wake up. I take Zofram (I take the generic), made by a company named Mylan. I like those because they are a mint flavor, easily split in two, and they dissolve in your mouth quickly and they work.  Otherwise, they are fruit flavored and they are gross.  CVS gets them for me by request, I actually insisted and told them why I can't take the others. My pharmacy was understanding.  Your symptoms are exactly like what I experience and I have been in acute mode since the week before Thanksgiving.  It's horrible.  You tell your doctor all of your symptoms and you tell him or her that you need help, period.  Get the colonoscopy, why are you afraid?  The worst part of the whole ordeal is drinking the stuff that will cleanse your intestines and then you will feel wonderful for about a week..... Go for it, I have had 3 colonoscopies and 2 sigmoidoscopies. No problem.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.