Constant throat clearing after eating please help?

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the past while I have been experiencing issues after eating. After eating it feels like something is stuck in my throat and I constantly have to clear my throat. This lasts about 20 minutes and it slowly goes away. However, in addition to this I also experience my voice going hoarse while it is occuring. This only happens after eating, not during. I have no issues during meals, but about 5 minutes after I get the sensation in my throat and my voice will go in and out. It bothers me and causes me to avoid going out to eat because I feel rude constantly clearing my throat. It is quite irritating, but I am unsure if it is something I should bother my doctor about. For the record, I am 22 and I have been experiencing this for the past 1 year 

any advide would be appreciated.

Thank you

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like LPR (silent reflux). It sounds like you have very mild symptoms. Before things get worse, here's what I would do. Keep alcohol consumption to a minimum, never bing drink. Alcohol weekends the sphincture and aggregates the condition. Avoid over eating. Do push-ups in the morning and evening, or other activities which strengthen the core, but avoids compressing the stomach such as sit-ups. I have had good results with strengthening my core. In fact, try doing a lot of push-ups prior to eating. I've found that to help. Reduce stress as much as possible. Drink a little water prior to eating, and then don't drink much while eating. Only use water if you need to wash food down. Then drink plenty of water between meals, about 15-20 minutes after eating.

There are so many other things people do, but this is what I found to help my bad symptoms get back to very mild symptoms. Currently, my symptoms are similar to yours. Oh, and keep your throat clearing to a minimum. Clearing my throat only seemed to make things worse. Instead of clearing your throat, try chewing gum, or sipping water.

• Posted

Hey thank you for your advice.

i am a male in my early 20's and i do alot of exercise like going gym but have never tried doing push ups before eating tbh. As i dont think it would be ideal for me due to lack of time and the place i eat. 

i only seem to suffer from throat clearing after i have a meal like 5 mins after it gets really bad and last for a good 20mins. 

yeh i have also noticed that drinking water staright after meal makes it alot worse so i avoide water and have sprite or 7up something with a lot of gas in it.

btw are u suffering from a similar condition if yes can u please tell me if you took any medication to help you with it please

thank you

• Posted

It's very frustrating isn't it. Sounds like you might have LPR. What investigations have you had and what meds are you on?

• Posted

hey 

sorry what is lpr 

and are u suffering from a similar condition?

i actullly have not seen any doctor yet because last time i saw one they just said it will get better with time and gave me no medication.

i really want to know the cure for this as it is making my social life a hell as i am not able to go eat with the fear that my constant throat clearing will annoy other people 

can you maybe help please 

thank you

• Posted

Hi - LPR is Laryngeal Pharyngeal Reflux. Yes I suffer from it. I am on ppis twice a day and motillium to "move the food through my stomach". Mine has gotten worse and not seeming to settle - I don't have the persistent cough, but other symptoms of burning throat, tingling mouth, post nasal drip and feeling of blocked ears. Going to see surgeon on 10th March to look at surgery as an option. I sleep on a wedge, try to eat smaller meals, avoiding caffeine and fizzy drinks and sip on water

• Posted

I have had the same problem for over four months now. In addition, every night around 2am I awake with a horrible painful lump in my throat that burns badly. It doesn't matter when or what I eat. I have taken every kind of medicine i can find, to no avail.

• Posted

Gomer,

I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles. I had a similar issue, but would awake with a terrible burning back pain, caused by the acid.

I'm not sure what exactly got rid of it, but I made a lot of lifestyle changes. I basically changed to Appaloosa diet. What seemed to make the most difference was lowering my stress, which is almost impossible to do when you're in a lot of pain and suffering. I exercised, read, strengthened my faith, started taking probiotics, and lots of garlic. I noticed the biggest changes with faith and lowering stress, followed by diet changes. Beer and gluten were the two foods that really made it worse.

I wish you the best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.